Security Issue, Possible Malware??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shah1, Oct 29, 2012.

1. shah1 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've been using my Macbook Air late 2010 for some time and it's still running on snow leopard. Now I've got the pop up blocker clicked in the safari preferences. However I have recently downloaded some torrents, now on a few occasions I have clicked on to websites and have noticed that pop-up ads have appeared in a separate window, usually gambling site ads etc. Do I have any kind of malware? I have run Clamxav but it has come back with nothing!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What kind of torrents? Apps? I strongly recommend you never install pirated apps, as they can contain malware. Also, be aware that Safari's pop-up blocker doesn't stop all pop-ups. Make sure you have Java disabled in Safari preferences, until you visit a trusted site that requires it. Also, use one or more ad-blockers to stop pop-ups. There are more security tips in the following link:

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

3. shah1 thread starter macrumors member

It was music and a couple of movies.. And what other pop-up blockers would you recommend? I've just installed AdBlock extension. But are there any others?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's highly unlikely you'll get malware from music or movies. I run several ad-blockers. ClickToFlash, Safari AdBlock, GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blocker are just a few.

5. shah1 thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks, will try adding these and seeing if it helps.