Security Issue Post Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFAQ, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MacFAQ macrumors newbie

Hello all! Looking very much forward to being a part of the community here!

I have a question for the sharp apple minds that frequent this board!

Recently, my a MacBook Pro at our office suffered the NVIDA card issue which knocked out it's screen and, of course, required the standard (and free) Logic Board replacement. I have since received the computer from the fine folks at the Genuis Bar at the Market Mall Apple Store here in Calgary, Alberta and I've returned it to the employee. Today, she confronted me saying that someone had been on her computer. After asking what made her think that she told me that "it was on when I got it and I didn't have to enter my password when I opened the lid. It was just there on my desktop." I told her that the technician had me turn the machine on and make sure that everything looked good before walking away with it. At that point, I simply closed the lid and it wasn't opened again until it was returned to her.

The question that this brings up, my friends, is a legitimate one. According to her previous settings, anytime you open the lid of the machine you would have had to enter her password. That didn't happen when she opened the machine so what I'm wondering is, Do settings such as those found in the security pane of System Preferences get returned to their defaults when a Logic Board is replaced?. If not, I'm concerned that perhaps her system was compromised.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out with this.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The Genius may have removed the need for a password upon waking so they could easily run hardware and software tests. I wouldn't worry about.

3. MacFAQ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those setting may be logic board dependent and once the old logic board was replaced with a new one, it reverted to the default settings. Some other settings that are logic board dependent are screen saver settings.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I would agree with this. When they are working on a machine they probably turn it off so that they don't have to keep unlocking it all the time.