Security lock for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maile, Jul 23, 2008.

1. maile macrumors newbie

Hi all--
    Have recently purchased a MacBook for my daughter who will starting college this fall. The school strongly advised purchasing a cable lock for her computer to use in the dorm and library. Am quite frustrated invetigating options to find that Kensington locks are not compatible with the security slot in the MacBook (per discussions with their technical person today)--the lock seems to scratch and dismantle the metal plate inside the slot. They are sending me a free security slot adapter which you glue to the laptop and works with the Kensington locks. Belkin is researching through their product manager whether the F8E550 is compatible since users posting on Amazon claim it reamed their slot.

Does anyone have a lock that works well on the MacBook? Anyone have experience with the Tryten brand? Which locks are compatible with the MacBook security slot? Thanks for your help. It's hard to believe something so basic yet vital does not exist for the MacBook.

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

He lied to you.
    I've used 2 different types of security cables in my macbook and both worked fine. Maybe u should take the macbook with you to best buy or one of those stores to try them out.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

We have over 200 Kensington locks which all work...but they are all worthless...mild deterrence...your better off putting a sticker saying that there is a GPS chip installed or something.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The locks only prevent opportunistic theft and that's about it.

5. chscag macrumors 65816

To the OP:

While the lock will act as a deterrent it certainly won't prevent a thief who is determined. Macs are very attractive items to steal, especially at schools.

Consider purchasing laptop insurance, it's inexpensive, and will pay for a replacement in the event it's stolen, dropped, spills, etc. Take a look and decide for yourself:

http://www.safeware.com/

Regards.

6. BENNYNOCKIT macrumors newbie

I couldn't find any other threads so on this, direct me to the correct one if I am wrong. But, anyway, would anyone on here recommend a good lock for a mbp. I would be locking it mainly when I am not in my dorm room, during class and stuff. I haven't meet my room mate and just want to be prepared, if he is untrustworthy. Thankyou.