Security Locks/Cables

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ribbonthecat, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Can anybody recommend a good security lock/cable? Preferably one with a combination. I'm bringing my 12' PB with me on my travels this summer, and want to make sure it's secure.

Thanks.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Have you not seen the "security lock" videos all around the net? Most cables can be defeated by: yanking the laopt, or clipping the cable with cable cutters, or jimmying the lock ( with a cardboard tube in one example, or by "bumping" in another )

Laptop locks will only prevent the casual thief. Better to not leave your laptop unattended. Go ahead and get a cable if you must, but don't even let that make you feel like it is safe.

Also, If you have anything important on the machine privacy wise, I highly rrecommend turning on FileVault. If it slows the machine down too much for your tastes and you don't have much data that needs to be encrypted, I recommend using a 3rd part encryption tool or simply creating an encrypted virtual disk image and putting your private resources in there.

Good luck

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's the whole point. Locks on your house will only stop the casual thief too. If they're really determined, they'll find a way.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Absoultely I agree. I am trying to relate this to the original author.
    He said he was looking for a "good" cable that was "secure". These things do not matter if you are tryng to stop the casual thief. Again I say, get a cable if you must, but it won't do much for you. if you have to make an insurance claim, noting that you had a cable might get you a slight edge that you were at least trying to prevent it.

5. EngBrian macrumors regular

I got the kensington microsaver retractable. I got a good deal on it but apparently that was for a reason. The retracting mechanism jams a lot and is a pain in the ass. But on the other hand it is compact. It has a relatively thin cable but again as mentioned before the most a lock is going to do is slow someone down regardless of how big the cable is. But overall I couldn't recommend this product.

I got it on sale for $17 cad from $45.

6. wako macrumors 65816

NOOOOOO

DO NOT turn on FileVault. Unless the data on your computer is EXTREMELY top secret from the government and if compromised your ass is sent to Siberia, then DO NOT turn it on.

FileVault is GREAT, it works, in fact it works TOO WELL. It works soo well that it doesnt work! Many people like myself have had ALOT of headaches because of filevault.

For me personally, my system had issues and had to be replaced. With the new replacement I used Migration Assistant, which is suppose to work with FileVault to transfer my files to the new computer. When it asked for the Master Password so that I can transfer my files between the two computer, it didnt log me in. The Mac Genius that was helping me didnt understand either. We then tried to login to the original system with FileVault on, we were pleasantly surprised that the password changed itself! In the end I lost all my data, and the Mac Genius simply told me, that kind of stuff happens alot with FileVault and he usually recommends people to keep it off.

7. showtime macrumors 6502

I wouldn't spend too much on one. I haven't really had to use mine yet. Most locks are more or less the same except for the ones where the combinations automatically changes. They just give theives reason not to take your laptop since it's probably not worth their trouble.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't own one. And if your only worry is about leaving it unattended in the hotel, you don't need one. If I'm leaving my hotel room and know housekeeping may come in, I put my laptop back in my backpack (which DOES NOT look a thing like a laptop bag, yet has a compartment for one, padding and everything. That is key. Some bags scream "I have a laptop in here, steal me!" Not mine. It's a regular backpack that I use every day at college and just happens to have a padded sleeve for laptops). And then I simply lock the zippers with a cheap luggage padlock that could probably be picked in 30 seconds by a trained chimpanzee.

Not secure either, but nonetheless, it is a deterrent and housekeeping or anyone else walking past the room doesn't even know I have a laptop (since all accessories are in said bag). I've seen housekeeping at various hotels who leave the door wide open while they go down the hall to grab supplies. Anyone could walk past, see your laptop on the table and take it since those locks can be broken in seconds. But if my laptop is hidden in my backpack, no one even knows I have it.

Laptop locks only stop the casual thief. Not knowing there's anything valuable to steal will stop a professional thief ;)