Security of Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AzureCloud, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AzureCloud macrumors member

I've been looking at upgrading my years old router with something more modern. After having tried several newer models from various companies, I think I am ready to enter the world of Apple branded routers. There have been a number of issues with dropped connections, inexplicable lockups, and outdated firmware with the Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link hardware I've had experience using, and I've been told that the AEBS tends to be a nice, stable device. However, I do have some questions before I make a purchase. How is the security on the AEBS? Should I be concerned about the lack of an SPI firewall? Every router I've used previously has had this feature, so I am a bit uneasy about not having it with the AEBS.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. AzureCloud thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What about external network intrusion? Is SPI a major deterrent? I'm just curious to know how Internet-facing network security is impacted by the lack of SPI.