Security on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry65, Aug 26, 2008.

1. harry65 macrumors member

Hi All -

Wanted your opinion about security on the iPhone 3G. In particular, what are your thoughts about using iPhone to do online banking and such? If I am on my home wifi network (which is encrypted), would browsing the web (online banking, etc.) be just as safe as if I were doing it on a laptop using the wifi? What about when I'm using 3G, EDGE, or some public wifi (i.e. Starbucks)?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes, because the website uses HTTPS and so it doesn't matter which phone.

And don't forget this is OS X, which is taken from Mac OS X.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I think you'll be fine. The chances of some super hacker standing by to intercept your packets is slim to none.

4. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

You would be safer on 3G/EDGE than on WiFi because the cell signals are all encrypted. Ten years ago, people could listen in on your cell phone conversations, but today it's all digital and encrypted. If your home network is encrypted, then you are safe. But if I was you, I would not do my online banking at a public WiFi (starbucks). Surf the public WiFi all you want, but when it comes to online banking and other secure info, turn WiFi off and switch back to 3G.

5. harry65 thread starter macrumors member

Wow - would not have guessed that. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Wifi signals can be encrypted. The point the previous poster was making was if you are public wifi there may be no encryption and even if there is, others are also on the network and the security is little to none.