Security on MacBook and XProtectPlistConfigData

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BODYBUILDERPAUL, Oct 22, 2018.

1. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Hi Guys,
    I notice that the XProtectPlistConfigData on my MacBook has not been updated since March of 2018. I was late at installing High Sierra and only did it three weeks ago of so.
    I'm questioning this only as yesterday I received a scam Email that said my account had been hacked and that they had all of my passwords etc. They wanted me to pay a ransom.

I found the whole thing to be the work of a very sick person. Do things like this happen often?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

These two things are not related. There have been a lot of big password compromises so emails are being sent by unknown groups to users' email addresses listing passwords. It's absolutely critical not to reuse passwords across sites.
    XProtect will probably only update at this point if you're running 10.13.6, so if you're on a different version of High Sierra, make sure you've updated to 10.13.6. You'll also want to be sure that the option "Install system data files and security updates" is enabled in System Preferences/App Store.

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you so much for that. Yes I use Apple's suggested passwords now and 2 tier security etc.

4. iPodClassic1 macrumors member

iPodClassic1

https://haveibeenpwned.com