Security Options....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by WindWaker, Jul 23, 2012.

1. WindWaker macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to restore my MBA to factory settings, so I went to disk utility (through Recovery HD), to try and do a full wipe. I did that, but after I decided I wanted to do a full wipe, so I reinstalled Lion. When I went back, I couldn't access the security options button (I couldn't before as well, I believe...), to do a 100% clean wipe. Does anybody know how I can access that tab (I'm on a mid-2012 Air)?

2. tburk32 macrumors member

You were slightly vague with the security options and what the actual issue is. Did you mean that you could get to the security and privacy but you weren't able to make any changes? If that is what you mean, did you click on the lock icon in the bottom left corner of the window which will prompt you to put your password in and then you will be able to make the changes. Once you are finished you will want to hit the lock again. Assuming that is what you meant. If not I guess I just wasted time and made a fool of myself.

3. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, I should have been more specific. What I want to do is boot into Recovery HD on my mac (holding option while turning it on), go into Disk Utility, hit the erase tab, and try to access the security options which completely erase all files on my hard drive. For some reason, the security options button isn't possible to access.

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    make yourself a Recovery Disk on a usb stick (a 2gb is sufficient) - then startup with the stick inserted and holding down the Option key.
    you will then be able to select to startup from it and perform the task you are talking about.

you can read about it and download the Recovery Disk Assistant (1mb file) here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

5. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding! I got an 8 GB flash drive and installed the recovery, restarted my computer, and headed to the Recovery HD of the flash drive. I went to the drive in disk utility, selected Macintosh HD as the format, turned up the Security Options, but it wouldn't erase. It said the Disk couldn't be unmounted... any ideas?

6. halledise macrumors 65816

that's odd - are you sure you selected the correct disk at the startup window?
    on mine, the external Recovery appears orange, whereas the internal Recovery has the same icon as the actual Macintosh HD

7. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the one I'm selecting-- the orange one.

----------

Also, one thing that I suppose is worth pointing out, if, in the side bar on Disk Utility, I select the SanDisk flash drive I'm using, the Security Options tab is available for selecting. However, if I select Macintosh HD, I can't select that tab or the Erase Available Space tab that I want too.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

hmmm - very odd.
    not sure what to say next - I'll try mine shortly and get back to you.
    (I'll be running the procedure tomorrow to do a clean install of Mountain Lion)

9. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

I called up Apple support on the issue, and they said that with MBA's and SSD's, security options are no longer needed as erasing is plenty good enough. Thanks for all your help though!

10. halledise macrumors 65816

exactly what I was about to post :)
    I thought you meant you were getting a greyed out 'erase' button also.

all's well that ends well