Security...or lack of when using Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dodmath, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dodmath macrumors newbie

Amazon is apparently preparing my order for shipping and I will be recieving my first ever Ipod Touch soon:) I have always had my iMac plugged directly into my DSL modem, which has wireless capability but I have never used it. The airport on my mac detects it as an open wireless port with no security...but I leave airport turned off. How dangerous...security wise...is it to just let the touch link with the open signal of my DSL modem if I am just doing general internet surfing? I was thinking about doing an internet sharing setting through the Imac with WEP security since I found something about that in the settings...but someone talked about trying that in the apple forums and it did not seem to work.

Obviously I am a wireless NOOB and I don't really want to buy a router. I figure I can go the computer if I am going to banking or something that needs to be secure. Thoughts???

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

if your DSL router has wireless, you should use that as opposed to trying to share the connection on your iMac. it is much easier to set up. in fact, leaving everything as is, your iPod will automatically detect your network and be off and running.
    it isn't dangerous per se (using your wireless router), as there aren't any viruses out that would affect an iPod touch. it is a closed platform and won't get hacked. but you are basically sharing your internet right now with anyone who happens to come within range of our wireless router. that is up to you. i would recommend at least adding WPA security on your wireless router and then having your iPod touch connect to that. WPA is both easier to configure than WEP and much more secure.
    or, if you are more philanthropically-minded, leave it wide open as it currently is. :) i'm sure someone is or will be thanking you. ;)

3. dodmath thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I know all of my immediate neighbors have their own high speed internet so I am not sure who to ask for thank you cards from...or who should be giving me Christmas presents:) Ever since I have had Verizon DSL I have never used the wireless feature of my Westell Versalink 327w...which has been years. I looked up directions for updating/turning on its security for a wireless network but they were all for the PC. So, I will be calling Verizon soon for help. The good thing about having a Mac is the last time I talked to customer service not being PC meant I talked to someone I could understand and was not in a foreign call center reading from a script.

I guess I should mention that I have always left my router off unless I was sitting at my computer surfing the net...or actively downloading files. Therefore somebody has had some pretty spotty internet access:) What can you expect for free service!

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

all of your router settings should be available from any browser (sarfari). just type in 192.168.2.1 and that should give you access. usually the default password is blank (just hit enter) but sometimes the router ships with one. that should be included in your documentation (doesn't matter if it is PC only - just use safari). i recommend at least entering a router admin password in there because if you don't, anyone could hop on and change the default and then you would be locked out of your own router.
    it sounds like you are staying pretty safe with it only being on when you are actively using it, but that might change with your wireless touch? but it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what you're doing. should be OK either way.

5. dodmath thread starter macrumors newbie

Man...posting a question here is like hitting that big red button at Staples:DThat Was Easy:D

6. firewood macrumors 604

If the wifi on your DSL modem/router has WPA encryption, change the admin password and turn the wifi on with encryption. If it doesn't (it may be too old), buy a cheap wifi + 4 port router, put it between your modem and your Mac, and turn on WPA security (the iPod Touch supports it).

7. dodmath thread starter macrumors newbie

It did have WPA...which I was a little surprised about since it is the original modem:) Thanks

8. dodmath thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to say thanks again to MZD and Firewood for their help. I,m surfing the net on my new 32gb Ipod Touch over a secure wireless connection. Man is thing cool! I love sites like this, and amazon, that help you do research and learn what to buy and then help you learn how to use it.

This thing is even easy to type on. :D