iPhone Security policies Config Profiles settings

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iphonefreak450, Apr 27, 2015.

1. iphonefreak450 macrumors regular

I am about to setup a Configuration Profile and would like to ask a question regarding on one of the settings explained below as follows.

"<key>maxGracePeriod</key>" and "<key>maxInactivity</key>" and ensure the sum of their integer value is between 1 and 15 in the configuration profile (.mobileconfig file).

When they say "Between 1 and 15" as the settings, does that include "1" or "15"?

For example, if I set AUTO-LOCK or MAXGRACEPERIOD, to a value setting of "1" OR "15" would that still be considered as being between 1 and 15?

Or, should the values be set to "2" or "14"?

2. iphonefreak450, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

The settings for those two policies must be between 1 and 15.
    Does that include the two endpoints of 1 and 15?
    This is all I wish to know.

Thanks

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't know about that setting per se, but I would say that more often than not that kind of language is inclusive (meaning that 1 and 15 would be included).

4. iphonefreak450, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

So my question is basically >> Between 1 and 15 means: “1 and 15” or “2 and 14”?

For example, for Auto Lock timeout setting, I must apply a setting of between 1 and 15.
    Now most people including myself, have the display timeout on their iPhone to 1 minute. Which conserves battery life and it is not too short or too long. Its just right.

So, in that case, I would think the 1 minute value should be inclusive or included along with the 15 minute value.

Do not know - If somebody else knows, then please post this. Its very confusing.
    And I must import these settings very soon. So please, help would be very much appreciated here.

Thanks again

5. Coupz macrumors regular

Don't know exactly about this mobileconfig file but on the mdm system of our client it's also written with "between 1 and 15 minutes" and that includes both values.

I would say, just try it out.

6. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

How do I do this for easy iOS reinstalls so I don't have to configure settings

7. iphonefreak450, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

As far as the Auto-Lock timeout value, I will just use the default setting (whatever that may be) on iOS 8/iPhone 5S

As far as the Grace Period (Passcode Lock time-out), I will set it as 5 minutes.

Thanks guys for the help.