Security question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reich, Jan 30, 2012.

1. reich macrumors newbie

Why do I have to give my security answer every time I log into my financial institution even when I register the computer?
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Registering the computer doesn't eliminate all the safeguards built into financial sites. I never register my computer, because I want my financial sites to always ask security questions. That provides extra protection in case my MBP is ever stolen.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Because it's more secure that way.

EDIT: Exactly what GGJstudios said.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Probably because you need to tell the computer to trust the certificate in keychain..

The better question is WHY would you want to?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Usually this info is saved in a cookie the first time you go through the bank authentication routine. Are you allowing cookie storage or have you deleted cookies since the first time you signed in with the bank?

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If your IP address changes, they will usually ask you to answer a security question again. For example, if you log in at home and answer a question, then log in at work/school you will have to answer a question again. Your IP address can also change if your ISP decides to change, which can happen with most residential plans.

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

You know I noticed something after I tried logging into my bank, recently it has asked me for my pin and security question everytime. I would rather be safe than sorry, so it's no big deal. I can't have everyone trying to access my millions of pennies.