Security questions before I buy Itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Itouch newbie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Itouch newbie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am still new to all this technology. I am about to buy an Itouch and wanted to use it in WIFI hot spots. My question is, is it safe? Is there away on the Itouch to block someone from seeing what you are doing on your Itouch? My main concern is, if I am looking at my email, will someone be able to hack in?

Another main concern still focused on the security issue. I have Itunes at home and have a password and login. I am guessing I will have that for the app's as well. Is it safe to input that in on a WIFI hotspot?

Sorry guys if these are basic questions but I have no clue and never used an Itouch nor a data phone. Any feedback or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

WiFi hotspots generally don't use any encryption (WEP or WPA) so anyone with a wireless sniffer can see everything coming out of your touch. If your mail account supports encryption between the server and your client, the touch does support SSL encryption. For other apps, it would be up to the developer to add encryption for any online communication, but I doubt many have. I wouldn't trust using a banking app from a hotspot unless the bank specifically stated that communications are encrypted. I have the Bank of America application which says everything is encrypted, but I still haven't used it from a hotspot.

There are no passwords to use individual apps, the best you can do is lock your touch to require a numeric PIN when you unlock it for use.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Like jzuena said it will depend on the hotspot you connect to. If its free public wifi then it more than likely wont have any encryption on the connection itself.
    However, if you're cautious like I am you can purchase (or setup your own like me) a secure VPN service. Which is basically a pass through connection which works on the wifi connection your using.

Mine is setup to use encryption so I can literally use any hotspot and connect to my VPN and be sure no one can sniff my details in plain text.
    Don't get me wrong, this isn't a perfect solution as anyone can sniff the connection still and try and crack the SSL authentication/encryption used on the VPN.

If you're unsure about the security of the hotspot you're using. Just simply don't use it for anything you have to login with. Simple as that really.

4. Itouch newbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for your information. Just to be clear, lets say I want to surf youtube or just simple web sites that do not use logins or passwords, can someone hack into my Itouch and see my pictures for example? Also when you state there are no logins or passwords for app's, does that mean most are free? I thought you had to purchase some app's, if so I am guessing that means you would have to enter your credit card information?

Last question, how would I set up a VPN using the ITOUCH for local hot spots?

Thanks everyone, sorry to for all the questions, just trying to be safe with knowledge.

Thanks again

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

No one can hack into your iPod Touch that way and see your pictures or see what you're doing on the device itself.

And logins for apps means that if an app such as a Facebook app will require you to login to Facebook from the app itself. It probably wont tell you if this information is encrypted or not so this is where you need to be careful.

You know what, I'm not sure the iPod has VPN! Let me go and grab one and find out for you to confirm. I was looking on my iPhone at the time.