Security questions from a Mac newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lester52, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Lester52 macrumors member

Hello everyone. As of today I am the owner of a Macbook, my first Mac computer. One of the reasons I switched was because I was tired of all the malware/virus/trojan/security issues. However, I do have some questions which I hope you can answer.

I know Windows is a different beast than OSX, but with Windows XP it was possible to run into malware/security issues just while going online and installing the updates online for the first time. I installed the Macbook updates via software updates this morning and it took around 2 hours to download and install them. A few of these updates seemed to be related to security. While I was on the internet without these latest security updates installed would it have been possible for my Macbook to become infected by anything or hacked?

When I turned my Macbook on later today I noticed the documents folder was invisible. I could click where it was and open the folder, but it was invisible on the bottom of the screen (is this what the dock is?). I restarted the computer and it was visible this time. I know I changed no settings, so why would this have happened and is it anything to be concerned about in your opinion?

What can I do to make sure there are no security issues/malware on my Macbook? I do practice safe web browsing and I don't download, but is there any preventive stuff I can do to keep me safe? Is there any way to find out if I have any bad stuff on my Macbook right now?

I don't want bluetooth on or available to use. I turned bluetooth off and have it so it's not discoverable. I also went under the advanced option in the bluetooth screen and unchecked something called bluetooth pda sync modem. Is it ok to have unchecked this and will it not cause me any security problems?

I apologize if these questions sound stupid, but at 58 years old the computer can still be scary to me. Add to that I'm using a new operating system and I'm terrified.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

No one has every gotten malware on a mac other than by choosing to download a file and execute it. In theory you could, but it's never happened.

Don't worry about the documents folder thing. That's called a "stack" in your dock. It's merely one way to see your documents folder, which is also visible in the finder.

No problem with what you did with disabling bluetooth.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really.

Probably just a minor system glitch.
    By having OS X you've already done most of the work. There aren't any known viruses in the Windows sense for OS X, and Trojans are rare and also require an administrator password to install. If you don't know what the source of something asking for your password is, don't enter it.

If BT is off, this doesn't even matter.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your help. It's time I start enjoying my Macbook!