Security/Safety?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jaydee24601, Apr 18, 2015.

1. jaydee24601 macrumors regular

If there is already a thread on this subject, please delete this one immediately ... has there been any explanation of security? Meaning, what if someone steals my watch?! Or, if I were to leave it somewhere? Will it work for anyone else? I've heard about it needing to be paired with an iPhone, but does that mean that it exclusively works with my iPhone once paired?

2. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

As a whole I can't recall what they said yesterday at my try on but Apple pay for sure will not work, it has to be activated on your phone each time you put the watch to the skin on your wrist. Once it maintains contact you can use it over and over, until it's removed from your wrist.

3. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

You can lock it with Find my iPhone apparently

4. jaydee24601 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, thanks! I fear that these watches could easily be quite attractive to thieves as "easy prey!" Do any of you remember, back in the day, when people were actually having their high end shoes stolen at gunpoint?! Hyperbole, I know, but this product hasn't exactly received much discussion on security and safety. Yeeesh!

5. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I changed my form of payment to Discover card so that I have 90 days of Theft/Damage coverage. If you have an American Express or Discover you should do the same, or look into applying for a card

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The sensors on the back of the watch, in addition to reading your heart rate, also detect when the watch is against the skin on your wrist. When you remove the watch and put it back on, you are required to enter a pass code in order to unlock it again. Meaning if it breaks contact with your wrist, someone has to know the passcode to get it to work again

7. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

and if not, what happens? It's bricked until passcode is entered? What if you forget the code, is there a DFU mode?

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, I guess unfortunately then they have to take your wrist with them.