Security settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Westone, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Westone macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After 22 years using Microsoft operating systems I purchased a Macbook Air last year and I really like it. I maintain Microsoft networks for a living and I use the Air everyday for work. It is my only mobile computer for the last 9 months, and my office computer is an iMac.

I just encountered a frustrating situation. I am copying some folders from the Air over to the iMac. I discovered I need to open up the security settings on the folder for "Everyone" to have read and write access so that I can use it once it is copied over to the iMac.

However, it is not just a case of resetting the security on the Parent folder. It appears that there is no option to have the settings on the Parent folder propagate to the Child objects, at least that I can find. Does every folder and file beneath the Parent folder have to be reset individually? That can't be the case can it? That quickly becomes impractical as folders and files add up.

How do I reset the security settings on all of the contents of the folder at once? Without having to match the user names and passwords on each computer.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Select the folder in Finder, then Command-I or right-click and select "Get Info". Under Sharing & Permissions at the bottom of the Get Info window, you can set permissions for various users, then click the gear icon below and select "Apply to enclosed items"

3. Westone thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Westone thread starter macrumors newbie

Another Security Settings ?

Hi,
    I just copied a folder, which contains several dozen sub-folders and files, across my LAN from my Air to my iMac. Before copying, I set the permissions for "Everyone" to read and write, and selected to "Apply to enclosed items...".

After copying over to the iMac, the permissions are still as I set them before copying, however there is still a red circle with a minus sign showing on the folder and I am unable to access it. When I attempt to open it a message results that I do not have permission to see the contents.

What am I missing here, is there another security setting that needs adjusting before copying?