Security software necessary for Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iaddict, Nov 20, 2007.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

Is there a need for software to keep my information private while shopping or paying bills online? I've heard both, and from Mac users so I decided to come here and ask what others that are using Macs do. I don't have any forms auto filled, I always do them manually each time I visit a website.

Thanks for your help

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're going to use Safari you can just turn off the Autofill options in the Preferences.

At worst it'll fill in the personal data from your Address Book.

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

So there's no need to worry about my credit card information or passwords, etc being viewed or stolen while online?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're transferring sensitive data over a secure connection there's the same security regardless of platform.

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, but....

I keep hearing that even though a website says it is a "secure" site, that my information could still be stolen - passwords, etc.:confused:

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The connection between your computer and their servers isn't the problem there. I check to see what authority created a site's certificate before I send any sensitive information. I don't just outright trust any site.

Information could be stolen if their servers are hacked though. It's highly doubtful that there would be an attempt to intercept your secure transmissions.

I find the thread title misleading as well.