Security Software recommendations please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BESLC, Aug 13, 2012.

1. BESLC macrumors regular

I could not find a specific forum on this topic,I hope some here can help.

Over the weekend I received calls from 2 credit card companies indicating that several high dollar purchases had been made,some outside the U.S. These were fraudulent charges.

The 2 credit cards were never used on any site together. I am racking my brain on where they could get both numbers,regardless I would like to add security to my IMac and protect it as much as possible in the event it has been hacked. Any recommendations of the best Mac security is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and comments in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

The odds of your Mac being "hacked" to access two credit card numbers is close to zero. More likely that someone just looked at it while you were using it. Or got your numbers in innumerable other ways.

You can password protect your Mac in numerous ways. And your post is so vague no one here will be able to help you much.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sounds like a security breach on your internet connection. People with nothing better to do all day long create bots, or automated programs that run random port scans. When one is found, they can enter your computer and see everything you have on it, emails, programs, files, etc.

None of this has anything to do with your Mac or the OS. There are proxy servers you can use and other programs that bounce your IP around different places so it is constantly changing, and in many cases simply cannot be identified. These are all good things to use anyway, because it keeps the prying eyes of the G-men out of your computer files as well - not just some criminal organization buying and selling credit card data.

5. imaginary, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

imaginary macrumors newbie

6. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Did they ask for personal info or ask to verify anything to make sure it was you? Did you get the names of the cards and which company then call them back?

Sometimes, and has happened before, social engineering can be easily used by scare tactics to get some personal info from you.