Security Software Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jusacruiser, May 24, 2011.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Yes, I know we have heard it all before.....Apple computers do not need security software.

But my Mac has been running a little slow lately, so I was thinking that perhaps some security/maintenance software could improve performance.

Any suggestions for security software?? Norton? MacAfee? Please advise.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Security software will only make your Mac run slower, since they require system resources. You don't need antivirus software to protect your Mac. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    You're better off diagnosing what's consuming your system resources. It's not malware. Check Activity Monitor to see what's running.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I just wanted to add that GGJstudios is 100% correct. Installing McAfee or Norton will certainly slow things down more.

Are you noticing the slow down all the time or just sometimes?

Also check out the following link on some tips to maybe speed things up a little bit.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Enhancing_Performance_Of_Mac_OS_X

4. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Thanks GGJStudios and RafaelIT for your imput. You both seem to be on the same page about Security software.

I am going to take both of your advice and NOT install any additional security software. I will start looking at the Activity Monitor more often.

Thanks you guys for the helpful suggestions. :)

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Neither. Slowness will get worse if you install security software. Its how it is.

Not to mention Norton should never be used. Ever. Not only does it never find anything (or if it does it tells you about it but can't do anything) but you have to download a special uninstaller to remove it (on Windows machines anyway). That should speak volumes about the "quality" of Norton and Symantec products.

I work in IT where we use both and both are equally terrible and most of the time we have to use third party tools for malware removal since Symantec, Norton, and Norton 360 can't do anything useful.

6. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Yes, you are spot on regarding the Norton. I've had a family member counsel me many times on the terrible things that happen once Norton has "infected" your system. Norton is like goopy glue. Impossible to get it out.

7. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

My experience with anti-virus software from the PCs is that it slows down my machine and kicks in when I least can afford it, despite trying to configure the buggers.

That being said, I've been infected with my first Mac malware, the Apple Security Center thing that starts scanning and downloading security tool. I hear Apple is preparing a patch, hope its available before this thing kills my Mac!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Virus/Malware Info link I posted. That has all you need to know to get rid of and permanently prevent problems with that.

9. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Good Luck. :rolleyes: