Security System

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by TWO2SEVEN, Dec 19, 2016.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am looking for something wireless that I can take with me when I move.

I have looked at Scout and Simplisafe but I am open to others as well.

Any recommendations?

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I've been using Xfinity Home and can give my take on just that.

Pros: Monitored system that will alert a call center, one of my biggest questions is what will I do if I'm not home and the alarm is triggered, this answers that. Offers cameras and as many remote sensors as you want. Comes with its own dedicated touchscreen monitor.

Cons: Three year contract. Cameras are standard definition. Lack of integration into other third party systems. Oh and did I mention you have to sign a three year contract?

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I've been using Xfinity Home like the user above and have also been pretty pleased with it. I've also been looking at a way to move off of it and go fully automated as well. I'm leaning more towards Abode right now.

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Would love to find a system that lets me re-purpose all of my existing Xfinity sensors.

5. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

That or if they actually opened up so that I could buy my own sensors what not and add it to their system. I'd be more than happy to continue with them if that happened.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Technically you can, you just need a compatible sensor like This for example, then you can enter the code 4321 into your touchscreen panel to get the installer menus. From there you can pair and add your own, I added 5 additional window sensors to mine.

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have Verizon/Frontier Fios, so I guess Xfinity is out. Also, it is a rental, so I'd like to avoid a contract. Seems like Simplisafe might be the way to go.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I've heard good and bad about SS. I'd go over to /r/homeautomation and search people and what they say. I know a lot there like Abode and Scout.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

No contracts, so that would be nice.