Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idus

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
Stockholm/Sweden
2005-007 v.1.1 broke my superdrive...

CaptainScarlet said:
(..)After install, my Sony superdrive is working again!!(..)

Eh, for me the effect was quite the opposite... The Mac´s that we have updated with the 2005-007 v.1.1 cannot burn any DVD or CD on their superdrive any longer. They burn... but the data is unreadable on all our macs (and PC´s)!

Tried several softwares and made sure that the firmware on the drive is updated. The discs are high-quality and from the same batch as before the upgrade...

Why... WHY!!! We need to make backups now...

Anyone else who have had this experience and know how to fix it?? :(

...and it is pouring down outside as well... *sigh*

Anyway, keep up the good work all!!

DJ Diktator

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2005
Sweden
A related problem

Idus said:
Eh, for me the effect was quite the opposite... The Mac´s that we have updated with the 2005-007 v.1.1 cannot burn any DVD or CD on their superdrive any longer. They burn... but the data is unreadable on all our macs (and PC´s)!

Tried several softwares and made sure that the firmware on the drive is updated. The discs are high-quality and from the same batch as before the upgrade...

I have a similar problem that (I think) occured after i installed the 1.1 update. My 1 month old iBook 12" Combodrive will NOT recognise any DVD or CD inserted! Finder won't detect it, it will not appear as an icon on the desktop and the iBook behaves like there were no CD or DVD there at all!
So... I had to restart the computer, shut it down several times and still the combo drive couldn't detect it...Finally I got it out just by using the eject button directly after the computer starts after a reboot.

I firstly detected the Combo Drive problem when i tried to burn a CD using Finder. After the finished burning Finder said the burning was unsuccessful but the CD never came out, and my iBook couldn't recognise the CD at all. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it is a hardware probem with my Combo Drive? I never have had any problems with it until now, I've had it for a few weeks and only third party programs i've installed are VLC, Stuffit and Mac The Ripper. Please everyone who can, help me solving this problem! Thanks ahead, Martin.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Idus said:

Have you (and DJDiktator) cleaned up your DVD units recently ? Maybe you should consider that.

I had some issues with my G5 (by then 6 months old), and one of the salesmen at the Apple shop advised me to do so, with regular DVD-cleaning DVDs.
WARNING: that's what he said, and it worked with my machine, but I don't know if it's supported by Apple and your possible warranty; maybe there's something about that in the books and/or help available, "how to clean your DVD unit".

enginerd2

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2005
Apple may not be entirely to blame for this...

sososowhat said:
I installed the update on my powerbook & imac yesterday. My Powermac was booted into 10.3.9 so I could connect to work using Cisco VPN.

This morning, the network's down. From the desktops, nothing. From the Powerbook I get this message saying I've got a "Blaster Type Virus" (see below). I have no Windows machines on the network (though a friend did connect wirelessly yesterday). I didn't think Mac's got Viruses!

Also: rebooting the Powermac into 10.4 didn't help anything.

Excessive Sessions Warning
Error

Your OfficePortal 1800HG has intercepted your web page request to provide you with this important message. The following devices on your network are using a large number of simultaneous Internet sessions:

Downstairs-G5

The most likely cause of this issue is a “blaster” type virus which has infected the device. It is strongly recommended that the devices above be scanned for potential viruses.

Note that a large number of sessions may occasionally be the result of application software or gaming software installed on the device. If you believe this is the case, click the “Do not show me excessive session warnings in the future” to disable this feature.

To access the requested Web page that was intercepted, please close all browser windows and then restart your Web browser software.

If you continue to see this page after closing all open Web browser windows, restart your computer.

Do not show me excessive session warnings in the future

I had the same exact warning message and I could not get to any internet site... I called apple tech support and they guided me to archive and reinstall my OS to get rid of all the security updates that were installed since i got the machine a few months ago. After an hour of that, i still could not get anything online. Decided to call up SBC DSL, which is my internet provider. The tech support guided me through their some update process, and voila! The problem is gone... I suggest you contact your internet provider directly for this problem... maybe something in the latest Security Update interfered with the software for your DSL or something... Good luck!

:)

Idus

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
Stockholm/Sweden
Cleaning drive vs patch

Arnaud said:
(..) Have you (and DJDiktator) cleaned up your DVD units recently ? Maybe you should consider that. (..)

Well, the thing is that I am supervising a number of less-than-6-months-old-G5´s in a professional environment. And the problem consequently occurs directly after the update has done it´s job on a specific G5. It would be odd that it would "clog up" the second I apply the patch and a cleaning of the drive would fix the problem. Although if i could "clean out" the patch, I would be one happy geezer!

My summery: Apply patch 2005-007 v.1.1 = superdrive problems...

PS ...and we do have regular "cleaning" of the drive and G5 as well DS

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Well, I managed to get past the problem of getting stuck at the blue screen prior to login.

Initially, even with a vanilla install of Tiger and iLife 05 and then only running software update (twice) the problem recurred but, on the next erase and install, I disabled the automatic login and that seems to have sorted it, for my 17" PB.

It might also work on an archive and install, certainly worth a try if you're having this issue.

*EDIT* It's back :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.