Security Update 2006-005 Available

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Finally!

A last week we were at the Carson System's Future of Web Apps Summit and _every_ single macbook/pro was kernel panicing when their airtport was turned on. It was unreal!

We tracked down the issue on the apple support forum and it's been a known problem since the release of Macbook Pros but no fix had yet been released!

It was surreal to watch like 85% of the macs in the room kernel panicing all at once.

rsoerensen

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
Fixed my MBP

This one fixed my MBP that was kp'ing all the time when using wireless. Means i can go back to using os x again! Before it would kernel panic every time the airport was used for about 30 sec. Sweet!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Just downloaded on my MacBook (see specs in sig.)

However it wasn't listed in my software update as Security Update, it was listed as "Airport" it was a 2.1mb download.

And first reboot took quite some time.

all seems well though

bob_the_gorilla

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2004
Derby, UK
WildCowboy said:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304420

Looks like this might be related to the "hacking" fiasco of awhile back...
Probably not - at least if you believe the note on each fix in that article, "There is no known exploit for this issue."

According to John Gruber at Daring Fireball - and I have no idea where he got the information - the vulnerabilities were discovered in an internal audit in response to those claims, but were not reported/uncovered/whatever by the researchers who started the whole drama. There's still no evidence to suggest that those guys were telling the truth, to my knowledge.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Doubtful or near impossible that a driver update can make an 802.11g card into a 802.11n card.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
bob_the_gorilla said:
Probably not - at least if you believe the note on each fix in that article, "There is no known exploit for this issue."

According to John Gruber at Daring Fireball - and I have no idea where he got the information - the vulnerabilities were discovered in an internal audit in response to those claims, but were not reported/uncovered/whatever by the researchers who started the whole drama. There's still no evidence to suggest that those guys were telling the truth, to my knowledge.
Yep...similar to what's said in the MacWorld article linked in post #4. But notice that I only said "related to" and put "hacking" in quotes, so what I said was true. The internal audit was triggered by the SecureWorks hullabaloo...that's all I really meant by it, as it's been shown that the SecureWorks folks "hacked" a third party device and driver, not AirPort. But yes, thanks for providing clarification on the issue.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
berkleeboy210 said:
Just downloaded on my MacBook (see specs in sig.)
And first reboot took quite some time.
Hmmm, like how long? So far mine has been at the white apple screen with a rotating icon for 10 minutes.

Edit: over 20 minutes now. It is now at a blue screen with a restart icon.

Edit: Well after 30min I did a hard shutdown and rebooted, seems to be fine now.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
slffl said:
Hmmm, like how long? So far mine has been at the white apple screen with a rotating icon for 10 minutes.
After installing Update, the Restart icon rotated 43 times before continuing to open. I am not neurotic. Just curious. :p

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
What does the darn thing do anyway, not a fan of these small updates that demand restarts. Probably won't have any effect on my usage...just another add-on

OzMo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Australia
Installed and restarted ok on G4 17" PB and iMac 17" Core Duo.
Restart took a bit longer than normal in both cases.

Otherwise no probs that I can see.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
It's not just Safari that's snappier, the WHOLE OS is snappier! :p

Thursday is the new Tuesday.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Snide said:
Is it my imagination, or does Safari seem more snappy?
The Tuck said:
It's not just Safari that's snappier, the WHOLE OS is snappier! :p

Thursday is the new Tuesday.
Imagination. You sirs are suffering from the placebo effect

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Took about 2 minutes to restart on my iBook G4, but when it prompted me to login, which it doesn't normally do. I entered my name and password and wouldn't accept it, so I finally restarted and everything worked fine after that.

Ace25

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Still no iChat update, huh? Anyone else having major problems connecting via audio or video chat. It is not just my computer either. I experienced it on a PowerBook, MacBook, and the newest Core 2 Duo iMac. Wierd...

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
xsedrinam said:
After installing Update, the Restart icon rotated 43 times before continuing to open. I am not neurotic. Just curious.
Got me curious... so mine rotated 16 times before it restarted (on the "blue" screen before the hardware restart) and 57 times on the grey screen at restart. Everything worked fine, for the record.

This in and of it self tells us absolutely nothing though -- I have never bothered to count either one before! ;)