Security Update 2008-005 Software Update problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by broncopde, Aug 25, 2008.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

When Security Update 2008-005 first came out, I installed it like a good user, restarted and went a long with my day.

But every time I restart my computer, software update pops up about 5-10 minutes into my session wanting to install security update 2008-005 again...and again...and again. What do I do?

2. djchiena macrumors newbie

You can ignore the update. In Software Update, select Update -> Ignore Update from the menu.

3. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Good solution

Good solution to the problem of it popping up repeatedly. Is there anything specific that could be malfunctioning to make this happen?

4. scaryweather macrumors newbie

can't get sec. update 2008-005 to install

i'm on a macbook pro, 10.5.4, 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. i've tried software update multiple times to install Security Update 2008-005. Every time I click restart computer, the progress bar on the install stops at the same place and I have to manually restart my computer without the update. Today I tried downloading the security update from apple. Opened the pkg file, but it says I can't install the update on my computer because it does not meet the requirements for the update. But that doesn't make sense to me, I should be able to get this update. What could be preventing me from updating?

5. jtyler1383 macrumors newbie

Scaryweather, make sure you are downloading the correct file. I believe you will want "SecUpd2008-005.dmg" - Security Update 2008-005 (Leopard) not "SecUpd2008-005Intel.dmg" Security Update 2008-005 (Intel). I did the same thing the other day. Hope this helps.

6. jtyler1383 macrumors newbie

broncopde, I would try downloading the update straight from Apple's download site and installing it. Either your OS thinks it hasn't installed it, or else it hasn't really installed it. If it continues, try repairing your disk permissions with Disk Utility (Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) and try installing the update again. Let us know how you make out.

7. scaryweather macrumors newbie

thanks, jtyler1383.
    i was trying to use the intel secupdate with no luck, but the other one worked for me. much appreciation.

8. jtyler1383 macrumors newbie

scaryweather,

You're welcome. I'm guessing the intel one is for those peeps running tiger. Not sure if that's the case or not, just a hunch.