Security Update 2010-003 failed to verify

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Paulk, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Paulk macrumors 6502

Paulk

There is a thread like this labelled "solved" here with my last 2 posts in it unanswered. But I still can't get this security update to verify. I tried to repair permissions using disk utility and - as far as I can tell it - does repair permissions, but it still doesn't verify. I've even tried downloading Google Chrome and Firefox browsers and they won't verify either.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

That's what it says on my About this Mac, under the apple icon. According to that I do have 10.5.8.

The SU download I tried to install is not a download that I initiated, it was prompted by the bouncing globe. Is it the wrong software?

4. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Today I got the bouncing globe again. Two security updates, one for i-tunes and the old favourite SU2010-003. The download was started for both these updates but in both cases the "could not verify" message came up, this time even before the downloads were completed.

I clearly am now unable to update the security of any Mac software. I also deleted the two unverifiable 2010-003 downloads.

Now I really have no idea what to do.

5. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Run OnyX to clear caches and run scripts? :)

Boot in single user mode and run fsck at prompt?

After reading all these posts the past couple days I wish Apple would buy OnyX and include it as a new "First Aid" like they had back in MacOS.

6. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

I tried downloading onxy for 10.5.8 but got a message "mounting failed". It seems I am in a catch 22 situation...

And what does it mean to "Boot in single user mode and run fsck at prompt"? fsck is not a Mac facility as far as I can tell from this wiki item.

There are no other accounts on this Mac.

I phoned Stockholm's Macotek, the retail chain here, and got the advice to boot up using Disk 1, then install from my software update. It didn't work for either SU2010-003 or the itunes update, both downloads were aborted before completion because the package couldn't be verified.

I then phoned AppleCare Support in Stockholm, and was told to try downloading 2010-003 directly from Apple's website, using the link I was provided in a support email. I did this and download appeared to be completed but installation was aborted as the package could not be verified, and so the download was not completed (i.e. the disk was not present for me to run Disk Utility to verify permissions).

I will phone AppleCare Support again today, and post the outcome in this thread.

7. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

At this point, the *first* thing to do is verify that the downloaded file is intact (i.e., not corrupted). If you look at the <download page>, they give the SHA1 digest for the file (and a link explaining how to calculate it).

For example, using Terminal... we would run this command:
    openssl sha1 /path/to/SecUpd2010-003.dmg

...and we should get this result:
    SHA1(/path/to/SecUpd2010-003.dmg)= 3f82f68f5a96a0c103fcc3ad88da9451b48def08

Please note that the "/path/to/" part there is fictitious. You can get the actual path by dragging the item into the window.

If you do not see this EXACT sequence: 3f82f68f5a96a0c103fcc3ad88da9451b48def08
    then the download is corrupt, and no attempt to use that file will ever work... at least not in any desirable way.

[btw, have you checked the HD with Disk Utility or fsck?]

8. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Thanks for this detailed explanation, though most of it is way beyond my computeracy.

The original unmounted disk downloaded on the 14 April (release date I believe) I did check with Disk Utility and this both verified and repaired "appears to be OK". "Permissions remains unable to check as it is not clickable (faded). However if I double clicked the image in my downloads but it failed to mount with the message "codec overrun".

I have also checked the HD with the Disk Utility and repaired permissions.

A couple of phone calls to AppleCare ended with the same as Hal suggests above suggested (using Disk Utility). Failing that the advisor recommended reinstalling the OS X using the two installation disks.

It looks as if I will have to do that. Then I will see if I can install 2010-003.

I will report what the outcome is.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you can't open the Onyx image OR the security update then it looks like something's wrong with your image mounter.

I have no idea what the fix is though :(

10. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Nermal, you are probably right. The same mounting failure happens with all downloaded disks including google bronze, Firefox. So reinstalling probably won't be a solution.

I will phone AppleCare once more and this time ask for help on disk mounting before doing their suggested reinstall.

11. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

There is no help from AppleCare for disk mounting. So I spent all day reinstalling OS X, only to find that reinstalling while archiving and installing still meant none of the downloads worked, starting with OSXUpdCombo10.5.8 package, a whopping 768 mb.

I got this message after the 2-hour download:
    "The installer could not validate the contents of the OSXUpdCombo10.5.8 package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

For the other two downloads I tried Garage Band Update and Airport Utility I got a slightly different message, the update:
    "... can't be installed. The digital signature for the package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with corrupted since being signed by Apple."

AppleCare again.
    I should save my files to CD then try an "erase and reinstall".

That will be tomorrow's work...:(

12. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Didn't help. I left my Macbook in for repairs with one of the regular Mac-authorised repair shops, got it back saying there was nothing wrong with it.

So I tried to download and install the same SU2010-03, and it kept stalling. I tried to restart the download by canceling the update, then immediately restarting it. It didn't always work, sometimes I had to stop and restart several times for every time it stalled. In addition, I was frequently asked to sign in again to my MacBook account. So I began to watch the download like a hawk, so I could intervene quickly to stop and restart. The time-count gives a clue, as Eventually after several exhausting hours, numerous stop-starts, several demands to sign-in again, this massive download was completed, and it installed.

I have since found the same problem downloading a 5 mb pdf file, so perhaps it is a new security measure to prevent bots downloading and installing?

13. MacTech68, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

This sounds rather difficult to resolve over the internet but I'm wondering if this is a MTU size problem/incompatibility on your modem?