Security ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goohfy, May 2, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

I'm gonna be upgrading to a MB pretty soon, deciding which model as well, but I'm wondering if I will need a security center. I have a Mcafee membership, and can move it to a new laptop, but I'm wondering if that will be necessary, as I have heard that the MB's have pretty decent protection, lemme' know what you guys think, and if you do run a security center, which do you prefer ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You absolutely don't need McAfee or any other antivirus to protect your Mac. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't bother with AV software, it's just a resource hog that does you no good. It's not so much that Macs have better protection as it is that there just aren't viruses for them.

4. altair7 macrumors member

Not entirely true. Just today there was a malware program released in the wild:
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...-with-fake-av-when-using-google-image-search/

That said, do not hose your system with anything made by McAfee. It will just slow down your computer unnecessarily.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What exactly in my post are you claiming is "not entirely true"? Everything I said is completely factual. As for the link you posted, that is NOT malware. It's simply an installer, which the user can simply exit out of and nothing is installed or affected. Read and learn: New 'MACDefender' Malware Threat for Mac OS X

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

7. letoast macrumors newbie

While not related to the virus aspect of security, OS X 10.7 (Lion) will have the option for full-disk encryption which is something I'm looking forward to very much. Especially for a portable machine, I don't know why someone would go without. I'm waiting on buying an MBP until it has Lion on it for that reason alone.

8. altair7 macrumors member

Dude, I called it a malware attack. Earlier reports today said that it installed itself through a javascript bug in Safari and did not require Administrative authentication and would then prompt the user for a credit card to download malware prevention to "remove" a detected malware program on the user's system. It looks like right now the security firms are saying it still requires administrative authentication to install as well as additional interaction.

It is still labeled as malware though and can lead to an unsuspecting user's credit card information being stolen.

9. altair7 macrumors member

I know (Believe me I know as I'm a Software Engineer who delves a bit into security). The original topic is related to osx security and the link by the Macrumors Googler was on info related to Virii and Malware.

I just wanted to point out that OSX is not 100% secure. You should still be careful what you do even on a Mac. Don't click on stupid links. Encrypt important information. etc etc.

10. mike 2011 macrumors newbie

While virus' on Mac OS are very rare, I did have a few in my 2004 PowerBook G4. I know it was running on a previous OS version, but it was still said to be virus free and bam, I had three. The way I see it Mac computers are getting increasingly popular, and the likelihood potential virus are more than likely following suit.

BTW, I use VirusBarrier X5

11. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not malware. It was an install package, which the user had to go through the installation process to activate. All the user had to do is cancel the installer. Any sensible user would not continue installing something that they hadn't intentionally started. The credit card information couldn't be accessed unless the user voluntarily gave it. It's simply not malware, regardless of what an antivirus company calls it. They're simply trying to justify the need for their product by spreading nonsense.
    No one is saying that it is. No OS is completely secure, and common sense and safe computing practices are always recommended, even in the absence of viruses.
    It's common knowledge that earlier versions of Mac OS had viruses. None have ever been found to exist in the wild that run on Mac OS X. That doesn't mean they never will, just that none have been found thus far. Anti-virus software can't protect you from a virus that doesn't yet exist, because it doesn't know what to look for. The fact that there were viruses on Mac OS 9 and earlier, when Mac OS had a much smaller market share and smaller installed base, and now that Mac OS X has a much larger market share and installed base, there are zero viruses, proves that the market share theory doesn't work.