Security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoshBoy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

Hi all,

I know this has probably been spoken about continuously but i could not find much.

I have 3 macs at home as well as my airport extreme running a TB drive off it (acting like an ad hoc server)

I am starting to be a little concerned with security now. Does anyone have any advise of security programs I should be using or correct set ups through OSX 10.6 or even a link to a guide.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Josh :apple:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Take a look Apple's recommended security settings as well as NSA's Mac hardening document. A Snow Leopard specific version of the guide hasn't been finished yet, but most of the Leopard stuff can be implemented the same way. You likely won't want to follow all advice, but can give you ideas as to how to enhance your security setup.

Additional apps you may want to look at:
    LittleSnitch (outgoing firewall)
    ClamXAV (for detecting mostly Windows virus/trojans so you don't pass them along to other machines)
    iAntivirus (for Mac trojans)
    WaterRoof (firewall, not easy to use)
    NoobProof (like WaterRoof, but easier to use)

3. JoshBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

thanks

Awesome thanks for your help. I am currently running little snitch and I use to run Clam but for some reason it would lock my system up all the time. Will check out the others. thanks again :)