Secutity breach mac OS X, hacked???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benj101, Apr 6, 2011.

1. benj101 macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

Firstable, thanks for posting on this forum. I have hesitated a long time before to buy a Mac, surfed a lot here for informations, and finally bough one 6 months ago.
    (I don't know much about computer in general and English isn't my first language so sorry for maybe approximative vocabulary below)

So, and but ... I am so happy with my Mac,it's working so well by itself, and persannaly have been so busy that I didn't have time to try to discover how it "works". So far only the "apparently" classical IP address problem in public places(!) if anybody got a solution for this one, would be happy of it :)

BUT, i apparently (!!!), and not voluntarely share files with " tangxianlu-tosh " and " chinese-a15ac45 " snapshot below.
    After my last sofware update, I noticed them on my "shared part", tied to click on it, gave me a failed connection, they disappeared, reappeared and them ... disappeared again ... I did two quick search on the net and didn 't find anything about nowhere ... which worries me even more ...

Is that normal??? is it a hack??? and if yes what can I do of it???

Thanks a lot for some anwers.

Attached Files:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That shared thing just "shows" you what computers (in the network you are on) are "sharing" files with the network. You were not hacked unless you use a super weak password and have in System Preferences->Sharing tab and are sharing you whole hard drive.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree. The stuff you see in the "shared" section of finder is stuff OS X sees on your local network. If you are in a library or public hotspot, you will see other computers but you can safely ignore them. Make sure you disable the guest account on your Mac, pick a complicated password you can remember so somebody at the next table doesn't gain access to your Mac after only a few guesses, turn on the firewall (being careful not to make it so strict you can't do anything), and only share a handful of folders you intend to share. In mine, I only share 2 public folders. My firewall is off but my Macbook never travels outside the safety of my firewalled home network. Only my iPad travels.

4. benj101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the answers ... I'm feeling some kind of a fool to do not have noticed that the "shared" section of the column was only detecting possible connections.

Password was already set and the guest account was limited but now I disabled it.

Thanks again.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I love how my printer shares things on my network. Very weird. (This is the printer that is not set to share)

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

@OP: Turn on your firewall if you are very concerned about your connections being broadcasted. That's the easiest way to prevent people from easily seeing your computer.