Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Must have been a lemon car your parents bought???? You seriously can't compare a Volvo against a Hyundai haha. Everything about a Volvo...even the old ones.....is better than a Hyundai any day haha.

Like what? :confused:

Volvo have failed in every market they have tried to enter --- until recently (and that's arguable). Volvos are famous for their safety, but the S70 and S80 debut was when Volvo kind of forgot their purpose and started making ho-hum sedans without much advantage in terms of safety when compared to other cars in their segment. I don't care about any company's reputation from 2 or 3 decades ago. They failed at nearly everything with the exception of the C30, which is essentially a market nobody else was in except Audi and Alfa.

In the early-to-mid 2000s, they smartened up, began designing awesome interiors with a signature design language of their own, and began to make better cars overall. However, this started when they made the Ford- and Mazda-influenced S40, which also resulted in excellent Ford and Mazda equivalents that were cheaper.

Even my parents' 1999 S70 T5 SE, which is pretty much a top-end sports model of the S70, didn't have a sporty demeanor OR the Volvo charm. It was just a sports sedan that was too small and not sporty enough for the segment it was trying to be a part of (BMW 3 and Audi A4), and yet not small or cheap enough to be in a smaller segment. They tried to remedy this by releasing the S60, but it was just as non-competitive. The suspension was soft when you consider the marketing aims ("sports sedan"???) from Volvo, and yet it was horrible at suppressing road noise from semi-rough paved road. Then there were inconveniences such as the extremely poor turning radius, which Volvos are still known for today!!!

Now, the Hyundai Sonata my parents got has a slightly softer suspension and much less responsive handling, but it was also approx $12,000 cheaper and didn't market itself as a sporty turbo. Also, they're 55 and 62 years old. :p The suspension is softer, but the ride is so comfortable that it doesn't matter. The Sonata is big enough to be useful, but not too big to be difficult to drive. The interior isn't as modern as today's Volvo, but it's better than the old S70's and is well laid out, luxurious, and yet utilitarian in a Accord/Camry/Family Sedan kind of way.

Oh, and I'd take a fully spec'ed Hyundai i30 over any Volvo sedan, and nearly every Volvo other than the X60 and C30 (one of my favourite cars ;)).

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Last summer I got my 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for about $9000, with 50k miles. It was a pretty good deal for the condition the car is in, but I'm sure there are others like it.

I highly highly recommend it. Since I got it, I've driven my car cross country twice, had it weather a Massachusetts winter, and done significant commuting (girlfriend lived in New Jersey, I was in MA). Despite all this I haven't had to do anything more than change the oil, it's amazing.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Get a 04-05 toyota camry.
I still keep mine b/c I have a 42 mile commute each way into Baltimore city, and prefer to keep the miles off my "weekend car".

Maintanance:
change the oil twice a year
brake pads once a year
tires every other year
and top off all other fluids as needed

the thing gets 30+ mpg, and I'm usually driving around 80 mph everyday.

On the weekends I'll pull out the M5 or the GSXR750. But during the week, the camry is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.