Seduced by the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Schoe, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Schoe macrumors newbie

I have finally had enough! I will be getting a Powerbook G4 this week after years of IBM Thinkpads and Windows. I am a stone cold rookie when it comes to being part of the Evil Empire so I need advice. I have a shot at a G4 for a really, really good price (I am a grad student so I have to have a good price), the problem comes in that the Powerbook has a password on it. I am familiar with passwords on an IBM and in Windows. On the IBM if you do not know the password, you are "screwed" and have to get a new motherboard or replace the chip with the password on it. If you cannot get the password for Windows, erase it and reinstall it. My question is: If the password is on the Powerbook and not in the software, where does that leave me?????? Or does Apple do it a different way?
    Thanks! By the way, the Powerbook is a 1.5ghz, 2gigs of ram, 100 gig hd, 17in screen, aluminum, comes with battery, power adapter, software, misc.
    Schoe

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

what do you mean it has a password on it?

like to login? and is this laptop stolen? I read great deal but with password which makes me think its stolen.

and even if it does have a password either boot up with an install disk, and you can reset it. or just reinstall.

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You should be able to reset the password using the Mac OS X install disk. There is an option for it in the utilities menu I believe.

5. Schoe thread starter macrumors newbie

The laptop is currently owned by a company in Long Beach. It is not stolen. I have Tiger disks. It boots to the login and that is as far as you can go. Also I just found out that the screen goes whit as soon as you turn the unit on but it boots fine to an external monitor. I figure that may be a bad or loose cable or a bad screen. Check me on that could you. If the screen is bad I am fine with that I have serviced IBM Thinkpads for years at work so bopping into a Mac holds no fear for me.
    Schoe

6. Schoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Canucks-17, Thanks! That is soooo simple. Life just got easier. Gee, its kinda nice over here on the Dark Side.
    Schoe

7. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

8. Schoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't give it a thought Jon. It's all a bunch of Jedi mind-tricks. The Dark Side is after all, subjective. I like the "Windoze", that is a good one. Thanks.
    Schoe

9. ann-yes macrumors newbie

Speaking of passwords... when I got my iMac this past Christmas, it insisted that I choose a password. This is a home computer, I really don't need a password, no security issues as I'm the only user. Is there a way to either make it login automatically, or to just not have a password? I'm running X11.

10. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

System Prefrences > Accounts > Login Options > Choose your account under automatic login.

Also: Make sure you click the lock on the bottom of the window. Type in your password and you can make changes.

11. VE3NEF macrumors member

Man, Bill Gates is totally on the dark side. Haven't you seen him on TV? Saying that he's not is like saying Chewy isn't hairy, and likes losing chess.