"See and Touch" + Senseg = Braille

Discussion in 'iPad' started by langers2010, Mar 7, 2012.

1. langers2010 macrumors member

People have been analysing the event invitation for clues.

Last minute rumours are speculating that the new iPad will include advanced haptic feedback.

This could be utilised to display Braille on the iPad screen and you could therefore see and touch it. Imagine a tablet/ebook reader that is open to the blind and visually impaired market. It would be a game changer n education as well.

2. falcora, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

falcora macrumors 6502

I didn't even think of that. I wonder if senseg can provide that high level of detail that would be needed for Braille.

I really hope that we get senseg technology. The applications could be very far reaching.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

You say this as if it is fact. I'm curious as to your source; I've looked at a couple videos/demos of the Senseq stuff and didn't get the impression that it could provide a Braille like experience.

I'm not saying it doesn't/can't, just that the demos seemed that it didn't provide that fine a level of touch detail at this point in time. So I'm curious as to what makes you think it does?

4. d0vr macrumors 6502a

It's not last minute speculation as it has been talked about for a while now, the possibility of Braille as well! However, if it is possible, then that is ****ing amazing news! How inspiring would that be to see a blind person interact so naturally with a tablet?

5. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

6. langers2010 thread starter macrumors member

No source, complete unfounded speculation. I don't know much about the technology but if it can alter the friction that your finger feels then I just thought you could mimic the concept of Braille - even if the fidelity wasn't to the pixel level you could potentially display multiple lines of Braille which would be a complete step change in capability.

As I said, no sources and just came to me when I read the info in the macrumors post about the Senseg technology.

7. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Even the fact the possibilities exist for future iterations is amazing.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Okay, cool. It didn't seem it was "there" yet, so I was curious.

I agree that would be a fantastic application for the technology if/when it takes off and is refined to that level.

9. langers2010 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly! The iPad would suddenly have a major capability advantage over a kindle as an e-reading device.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's at the pixel level, so it certainly could provide a braille experience (not certain of how it would work on a practical level, just in theory). And others also seem to think so:

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/97666.html

11. d0vr macrumors 6502a

That's fantastic to hear. Hopefully a stylus will have pixel level input accuracy as well.

Perhaps this is a dumb question btw, but how do blind people type? Do they write it out similar to how Asians write their special characters? Or something else altogether?

I only assume a normal keyboard might have Braille, but how could a soft keyboard work?

----------

It would also help those interested learn braille, as it could be set up so you can feel the letters but not see them in training and quiz exercises. Or even just for the unfortunate blind children who are learning themselves..

12. gta50419 macrumors 6502