MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch, which can be worn while swimming and doing other water-based activities, has a neat feature that's designed to use the speakers to eject water, protecting the internal components.

The Slow Mo Guys, known for science and technology-related videos that take advantage of slow-motion cameras, today took a look at how the Apple Watch water ejecting feature works, featuring it up close and slowed down.

As the video demonstrates, the Apple Watch goes through 10 cycles where the speakers vibrate to push out all of the water inside. In slow motion, the force with which the water is expelled can be seen, and it's an impressive visual.

When planning to use the Apple Watch in the water or when a swimming workout is initiated, users can set a water lock feature that's designed to prevent the display from activating when exposed to water droplets.
When turned off, the feature, enabled through the Control Center, triggers the function that expels water from the speaker when the Digital Crown of the Apple Watch is turned. The water lock and water ejecting features are available on the Apple Watch Series 2 and later.

Article Link: See How the Apple Watch Ejects Water in Slow Motion

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
How is this interesting? Its been around since AWS3. It's odd that only now a video is featuring this on macrumors site. It should've been available since the S0 as someone else mentioned though.
Well they were the first to think about doing it. And the Series 0 didn't have this feature.
No need to be upset about the video, it was cool indeed.

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I still 'burp it' on a towel after being in the shower. I start the evacuation process, and tap it (BANG IT!!!) on the towel! I BEAT THAT THING!!! It did burp. Once. Hmm... I think it was holding out on me... Someone said that you HAD(!!!) to enable 'water mode', because if you didn't, the doors didn't close, and the watch was ruined.

I was just...
[automerge]1592525882[/automerge]
Well they were the first to think about doing it. And the Series 0 didn't have this feature.
No need to be upset about the video, it was cool indeed.

Didn't the '0' just drown? I read multiple stories of people 'swamping' their 0's.

Reactions: Regbial and midkay
Comment

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Only Apple can come up with something so insanely ingenious.

Copycats’ brains be blown forever.
I would be quite surprised if Apple invented this technology from first principles. Apple are less about their own works of genius and more about taking other people‘s genius ideas and bringing them together as something excellent.
[automerge]1592527294[/automerge]
Gavin's deep dive into the Apple Watch water ejection system is fascinating.

And his deep dive into a bathtub was just as impressive!
Remarkably little splash I thought
[automerge]1592527411[/automerge]
Didn't the '0' just drown? I read multiple stories of people 'swamping' their 0's.
I showered in mine many times and went swimming several, never had a problem :)

Last edited:
Comment

swrobel

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2014
One of my least favorite activities is waiting on that unlock animation

Comment

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I'd rather just have it not have a speaker and work like normal and be waterproof lol. mines been on vibrate for years anyways

Comment

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
How is this interesting? Its been around since AWS3. It's odd that only now a video is featuring this on macrumors site. It should've been available since the S0 as someone else mentioned though.
Even longer: it’s actually been around since the AWS2.
[automerge]1592534505[/automerge]
I showered in mine many times and went swimming several, never had a problem :)
You were lucky. The series 0 and series 1 weren’t designed for swimming. They were splash resistant, so no problem in showering while wearing the watch, but they definitely were not intended for swimming. They didn’t even include swimming in the workout app because of that. The added water resistance and the swimming workout were introduced with AW series 2.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome
Comment

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
This feature seems to wear out over time just like how speakers tend to slowly degrade in sound quality over time. I’ve had my series 2 since launch day still and over time the ejecting sound has turned from that nice crisp beeping sound to a much more “crunchy” and static-like sound. Would be interesting to see how the performance of this feature is affected as the speakers get worn out. I know that the speaker grill design was also completely redesigned since the series 2 as well.

Reactions: Agile55 and midkay
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.