See how they glow! (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Infrared, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

glow.png

Quite clever, I think :)

Was it like this in Vista, too?

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Nope. I love that change as well. I'm still unsure how the glow is decided, but I think it has to do with the icons color.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It does seem to be that way. I believe the default is a blue though.

4. Infrared thread starter macrumors 68000

Infrared

I would think so too. It seems to pick up the predominant icon color.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

:D I gotta admit I laughed.

But still, the stuff in 7 is EONS better than that XP candy-land crap.

6. Emmanuel macrumors newbie

Yeah, it was the predominant color of the icon that affected the color of the glow. FileZilla was red, Firefox was orange, etc. That's how it was when I was running both the beta and the RC.

7. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Well they did have to do something after what, 8 years? :D

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Change we can believe in!:D

9. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

It always used to be PC Windows users throwing the "Fisher Price" accusation at Apple but Windows 7 really is hideous, everything, from when you start up and the ancient "choose your language" dialog boxes to the nauseating glow and round windows icon, screams "I'm a skin for Ubuntu made by a tasteless, untalented designer".

10. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I really think that that design should be in those toy laptops for children, and not a professional OS.

11. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^agree completely, XP wasn't very nice and looks very outdated now but it looks far more professional then Win7 Rainbow Brite edition which is what the RC looks like, sod it, I'm sticking with XP Pro and it's non-glowing, non-areo GUI.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Guys, we're using the platform that invented the 'lickable' interface. Let's not get too cocky.

13. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

True but OS X is lickable in a classy, Raymond Blanc kind of way. Win 7 is Ronald McDonald on a caffeine rush.

14. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Lickable or non lickable, the metal look is very professional and matches very well with the hardware too. Aero is just...just...

[​IMG]

Broken-down version:

[​IMG]

Now i finally understand when they really got the inspiration. Probably Steve Ballmer really likes to play a lot with Fisher price toys.

15. TSE macrumors 68030

Meh... the apple fanboyism in this thread is astonishing.

Look, both Mac OS X and Windows OS are going towards the same direction, making the OS look more sparkly while also taking up more system requirements. Personally, I now prefer Windows as my OS. Windows XP, specifically, with the classic UI to make it look like Windows 95.

Windows 95-2000/ME will be the best consumer UI ever. It looks simple, looks great, is the easiest UI to navigate with, and it takes close to nothing on the system resources. Nothing compares to it.

I sold my MacBook Pro, and am now going to buy a Windows laptop once Core i5 comes out and Windows 7 is open on the market. Lets hope that someone releases a classic UI for Windows 7, not the one that Microsoft provides that just makes everything look gray instead of Windows 95.

There was a reason why my family switched from 2000 to Mac OS X in 2003. The viruses were killer even with anti-virus software, and Mac OS X was 20x more efficient than Windows when it came to everyday speed. I was satisfied with Mac OS X until Leopard, where Apple decided to add more eyecandy just like Windows, not release a stable operating system where wireless drops out for 5 minutes every hour, and claim they have the fastest Windows machines around when they release crap drivers for all their hardware under Windows. The ability to boot both Mac and Windows made me upgrade to an Intel machine, well, not only did the graphics drivers suck, but the wireless one does too, and their is nothing I can do about it.

The way I see it, Windows 7 = Mac OS X 10.6 for my needs, so why pay an extra 500 dollars?

I love the Mac hardware, but not the Mac software. As soon as Apple releases something for my needs, I will get it.

From Windows 95-2000, Windows reigned supreme. From Mac OS X 10.2-10.4, Mac OS X reigned supreme.

16. wesrk macrumors 6502a

how do you manage to get those bars like that? the way I have them the open programs are in the dock, but not in a bar like the one you seem to have.
    as you can probably tell, I barely use Win7, but I'm going to use it more in the coming weeks.

17. Infrared thread starter macrumors 68000

Infrared

A professional OS would have what exactly?

A smiley face perched on a shelf? ;)

18. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You can always switch to classic if the eye candy is considered unprofessional. Personally I have no problems with it.

19. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Yes but...then it's too ugly.

20. Infrared thread starter macrumors 68000

Infrared

I see. You mentioned "professional". What
    kind of professionals did you have in mind?

Art critics? :p

21. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying it's not professional of course. Simply that it's not both good to look at and professional (like OS X).

Isn't the second better than the first?;)

22. Infrared thread starter macrumors 68000

Infrared

The use of "professional" would tend to imply that professionals use it.
    Very few professionals use OS X. OS X is, essentially, an OS designed
    with home users in mind (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.