see mac server on windows server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WhiteWolf, Jul 12, 2007.

1. WhiteWolf macrumors newbie

WhiteWolf

How do I get a macintosh server to show in a windows network?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow, careful with all the information there, you're overloading us.

In what context? Browsing through something like network neighborhood (ha!), or direction connection through some other app? Are you trying to share files, or is there some other service? May we assume these two machines are on the same subnet? And when you say "Windows network", do you just mean the other computers on the network happen to be running Windows, or do you mean you have a Windows server that controls network services, like Active Directory or something?

For the record, I've never had to do anything special beyond enabling file sharing for Mac and Windows machines to coexist on one network.

3. WhiteWolf thread starter macrumors newbie

WhiteWolf

Let me start over.

Our Graphics department has their files on a mac.
    My company wants these files backed up to a central location [ext hd attached to server running windows 2003 server] with all of our pc backups.

In order to use windows backup, I need to see the mac in the directory.

If there are safer or saner ways of doing this, please let me know. I'd rather do it the right way.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm not very familiar with using Windows Server 2003, so I'm not sure precisely which directory you mean. However, if you're using a Windows tool, all it probably needs to do is be using the Windows (Samba) form of file sharing. In System Preferences -> Sharing, turn on Windows Sharing. Try connecting to the Mac from one of the Windows computers using the Mac's IP. See if that gets you anywhere.

5. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

What backup software are they using?

I'd simply ask your work if they would drop some money and get you a drobo and 2 1TB drives.

6. WhiteWolf thread starter macrumors newbie

WhiteWolf

to mrogers: that was very helpful and works just fine for now. I can at least copy and paste now if Windows Backup doesn't work right. I backed up, but, haven't tried restoring from the Windows backup file yet though. One thing at a time.

to Oscar: Money? What's that?