See old iMessages on new device?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jardins de Vin, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I bought an iPad recently and wondered if there was a way I could see my old iMessage conversations which I had on my iPhone and Mac. People say it's only possible to have new conversations synced, but I don't quite believe that because when I bought a new Mac it did load all the previous conversations. And I didn't restore anything from time machine.

2. NeoX360 macrumors member

Well if you find a way, please share. Because I have wanted to know this too. Sadly on adding new devices they start with a blank slate.

After doing a clean install of Yosemite it's also a blank slate. I even had a backup of the messages but Yosemite just hangs trying to update the messages database.

3. Imory macrumors 6502a

They act "separately". Unless you have Time Machine, those messages are gone. Although, perhaps there's a way you could use the software people use when they want to extract messages from their iPhone, make a fresh install, then transferring those messages back to their phone. Maybe you can use that phone backup to sort of attach the messages to the Yosemite message app? Not sure that would work, just a thought.

4. mcvite macrumors member

mcvite

When i received my iphone 6 plus and connected it to my imac and updated and installed yosemite,i carried out a full backup before i installed and i have all of my old text messages on my phone,

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yes, so obviously there must be a way to get them. I'm wondering if I could load an iPhone backup into the iPad, perhaps I would get all of my messages then?

6. Imory macrumors 6502a

Not the entire backup, but extract the messages from the iPhone using software (iBackupBot or similar) to your Mac/PC, then attach that folder to your iPad?

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That's a good question. They both run iOS.. maybe? Tell us what happens.

8. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

What do you mean with attaching the folder to the iPad? How do you do this?

And yep I'll try it out and then report. Mac has a service right now so I can't do anything yet until it's back.

9. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Just restore the iPhone backup onto the iPad. You need to do this through iTunes though. Just backup the phone in iTunes then plugin the iPad and restore to it.

10. NeoX360 macrumors member

I can live without it just would've been nice. When I upgraded it did not upgrade the messages like it should have. A progress bar came up and said it was updating the messages database to work with 10.10 and the progress bar never made any progress. After leaving it sit for about 20 minutes I hit quit anyway. To get messages to work on 10.10 from that point I had to delete the messages folder in my user/library folder. Which in essence deletes all the messages.

11. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Yes, I guess I'll do that when my Mac gets back from service. What stuff will be overridden on the iPad? Is there stuff that can't be overridden because it's not iPad compatible? Anything I should pay attention to?

12. NeshyD macrumors regular

NeshyD

If you just want to restore your messages you can use this guide: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/

I did this when I upgraded to the iPhone 6. Managed to keep all my messages and enjoy a fresh clean install.

13. Imory macrumors 6502a

How did you make a backup? Did you use iCloud or iTunes?

Your best shot is to use iBackupBot which both NeshyD and I mentioned.

14. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

I'm just wondering why you would want old messages anyway?

15. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Had a question concerning messages but didn't want to start new thread. I don't use it but I have this on my home screen
    Is there some way to remove those notification circles? Everything with Messages is turned off on my iPad Air. Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. mmike70 macrumors newbie

Settings > Mail,Contacts, Calendars

Under the CONTACTS heading there's a switch for 'Show in App Switcher'. Turn off Phone Favorites and Recents.

17. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

You can turn off Show In App Switcher in settings for Contacts.

18. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Thank you, thank you, thank you!