See the news on the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

From the home page of Mac Rumors:

Today, Intel announced their Centrino 2 (Montevina) platform which incorporates a faster Penryn Core 2 Duo processor, faster bus speed, faster integrated graphics (GMA X4500) and the option of WiMax support.

The new Penryn chips will run from 2.26 GHz up to 3.06 GHz with a 1066MHz Front Side Bus. This is an improvement over the existing processors which range from 2.1 GHz to 2.8 GHz with a 800 Mhz Front Side Bus which currently power Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro. Apple is expected to incorporate the new processors in the next version of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Historically, Apple has not adopted Intel's platforms in their entirety, so, for example, they may choose not support to WiMax, a next generation wireless broadband standard.

Apple's laptops were last upgraded in February with only modest speed bumps. While Montevina's speed upgrades are also said to be modest, it has also been rumored that Apple will be revamping the physical design of their next notebooks to bring them in line with the current iMac and MacBook Air. Recently leaked photos depicting a more tapered design of the MacBook Pro are believed to be real. Apple's next laptops are rumored to arrive sometime during Q3 2008 (July-September).

Meanwhile, Intel's next major processor revision starts in late 2008 and continues into 2009 with Nehalem. Nehalem promises dramatic speed increases and increased multi-threading and multi-core designs. Nehalem processors suitable for notebooks, however, will not likely arrive until well into 2009.

Attached Files:

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Quoting the front page of MacRumors... in the MacRumors forum...

my brain hurts...

3. Jak3 macrumors regular

Yes and he wants to discuss it with the rest of the community, what's wrong with that?

Personally, I don't know how I feel about this...it's only a modest speed boost, and with Nehalem coming out next year, which is supposed to be much faster, is it really worth the trouble of releasing this chipset in Apple computers...why not just wait? :confused:

Anybody using old Macs will already see a huge boost in performance upgrading to the current models and anyone using the current models don't really have a reason to buy these ones, since as I said, it's only a modest speed boost... :confused:

4. greenythebeast macrumors regular

Like the news post said Nehalem chips that are suitable for laptops aren't scheduled to be released until Q3 2009. So that would be a long wait if they were to skip the Montevina platform upgrade.

5. BMP1199 macrumors member

When competitors are all updated to the latest and greatest... why would Apple wait? There is no guaruntee that Nehalem will be out in Jan of '09 (Montevina was supposed to be out in May '08 remember?). As a reputable computer company you don't just say "let's skip out on this new technology because it isn't a HUGE speed burst". Yeah it may not be HUGE compared to SR+Penryn now but its a lot faster than SR+Merom. It's all relative.

6. mark10197 macrumors member

I think Apple shouldn't do this update. All though this processor was just released, I don't think were going to see new MBP's and MacBook's till maybe November. Nehalem will coming out in MacBook's and MBP's 6-8 months after that possibly even shipping with Snow Leopard. I'll wait the 6-8 months and get the better machine and I think lot's of people would rather wait too. But it has dramatic improvements in bus speed, and the graphics card which would attract more buyers so it's not a really bad idea. I also think apple should redo the physical design on their notebooks. They have been using the same design on MBP as they did on the Powerbook G4.

7. greenythebeast macrumors regular

Like I said earlier, Nehalem chips for laptops aren't schedule to be released until Q3 2009, so you're wait would most likely be 12 months.

8. Jak3 macrumors regular

Yeah, they do all these wonderfull chipset and processor upgrades, but let's face it, their displays ARE ANCIENT!! Why not update those suckers...I mean come on 16ms response time on Cinema displays!! My grandmother has a faster response time! :mad: :eek:

And what about LED screens in the macbooks? It's about time, but most likely we'll be waiting until November-January to see those in macbooks... :rolleyes:

There's more, but I'd have to make an entire thread dedicated to criticising them...:D

9. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah yeah I know. But if your like me my bookmark takes me directly to the forums and I rarely read the articles on the home page. Just thought I would mention what I had read and include the pic that was linked.

If anything I need to upgrade. My good old MBP 17" 2.16 is still running strong but feels the pressure next to the new 2.5's Upgraded 7200 HD and maxed out ram at 2GB can only go so far....LOL

10. Fenir macrumors regular

I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll be surprised when I wake up.

11. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

You will. It's update Tuesday. Apple will announce a tarot app for the iPhone.

12. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

you better sleep for a very long time if you wanna be surprised

13. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Hahahaha

14. danvan21 macrumors regular

Why wait? only because the chip set does come out in January but its not the mobile platform. It could 6 months after the release until we start to see MB +MBP with nehelem in them. Plus why dont we just wait until the have lasers and 3d? Oh, i know i know. Because if we wait for the latest and greatest we will be waiting FOREVER!

15. Yixian macrumors 65816

16. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Magic eight ball says 30-60 days for the Montevina MB/MBP, so if you can wait that long, you might as well.

17. mark10197 macrumors member

All I'm saying is that I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on something that is going to be outdated in less then a year. BUT apple really needs to make new displays. The response time BLOWS compared to others.

18. SilverRubicon macrumors member

And when you write "less than a year" you mean "in a year at the earliest". That's 12 months, Q3 2009 for nehalem mobile.

19. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Some people on here will tell you to wait for the next one *after* nehalem comes out :p

20. Oroak macrumors newbie

Well if the Mayans are right, doesn't the world end 2012? If you wait till 2012 to buy your MBP might never become obsolete ;).

21. niekverw macrumors newbie

probably best reason to not wait for the upgrades...

jeez, there are like 20 threads about a new macbook, isnt it possible to have just one? it takes ages to read them all ; )

22. ManWithhat macrumors regular

It's a brand new (and drastically different) architecture, so there may be problems. Anyways, the release after Nehalem is a shrink, which brings better performance, less power consumption, and less heat. Now is the perfect time to buy, and the shrink would be a perfect time to 'upgrade' to the next model. :cool:

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... except the thread should be "See the news on the new Intel chips?", since no new MBPs have yet been announced. No one has a crystal ball to know exactly when the next MBPs will come out or exactly how they'll be configured.

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.