See-Through 13" macbook pro screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ..Ryan.., Jul 7, 2009.

1. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

So i am sitting here at my desk, with my 13" uMBP hooked up to my wall mounted display and everything else that i use. when i notice a large, slightly :apple: shaped light in the middle of the uMBP's display.
    its at this point that i ask you to position your macbook pro in front of a window (assuming its bright out) or other light source, so that the back of the display is facing the light source, and turn the screen brightness right down.

i can see the apple logo from the top case, through my screen :p i see :apple: that shape of my wallpaper.

sort of a pointless thread really, i assume this is normal, just haven't noticed up until today :)

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Pretty cool I guess but I don't have that problem with my 15" MacBook Pro.

3. ..Ryan.. thread starter macrumors member

hmm. i am just assuming its normal here. oh wells, i am happy with the machine in every other way, especially the battery life as I use around .25 - .5 of the brightness and generally dont use the backlit keyboard.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The forum could definitely use more of your positive attitude. Willing to look past a possible fault (especially something that you're looking at everyday) and just enjoying your portable.

5. Benjic macrumors regular

Well, it isn't a fault in the laptop, it's because the Logo uses the same backlight as the LCD screen, therefore, light coming from the other direction would pass through to your side of the screen, rather than the other way.

6. ..Ryan.. thread starter macrumors member

agreed on that one, far too many disgruntled users seeking replacements/upgrades. ahh well.

as for the screen, it was really direct sunlight (something we haven't had here in melbourne, AU for a few weeks) so i am ok with it :)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's a great feature; some times when I want to save battery life I shine a flashlight through the back and use that instead of the LCD backlight! :p

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol!!

On a side note, Id hardly call this a fault in the manufacturing of the computer. As stated above, It is simply like this because the apple is illuminated by the back light, and to achieve this there can not be anything in between the screen and the . I find it kinda cool actually :p

9. ..Ryan.. thread starter macrumors member

haha, the flashlight call made me chuckle.

as for the screen, i never said it was a fault, just pointing it out as i found it cool :p

10. suekitch macrumors regular

I wonder how many people have started staring really close into the centre of their MBP screens now.... I know I have :D

11. ..Ryan.. thread starter macrumors member

haha that's pretty much why i started the thread :p

12. molala macrumors 6502a

I think they've always been like that, since they decided the apple logo should share the backlight on their portables. I noticed it before on my Lombard Powerbook G3. It is cool. :)

Chuckled on the flashlight comment too.

13. fireman13 macrumors 6502

yeah, I noticed this a few months back with mine while I had the screen off and was just using my monitor. It was in front of a window and the shape was coming through. It freaked me out for a few seconds until I realized what it was.