See who is connected to my wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by insan56, Sep 19, 2008.

1. insan56 macrumors member

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but not in OS X itself. You will have to log into the router/modem and see who is on it.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

type your router's IP address into your browser, either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or other, and go to your DHCP Table status. it will tell you the Host Name, MAC Address, IP Address and Lease Time of all the clients connected to your router.

4. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am having a similar issue (I think my network has been hacked, but I don't know how that is possible) and trying to "Google" this comes up with the lamest results. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help! Here is my issue:

I got a new Wireless modem/Router 2 months ago. The default name of the router and password allows me to connect to it and get into the router's admin page. I promptly changed the name of the router and the password login as well as turning on WPA2 security.

All was fine until this morning; somehow, my router has defaulted back to the factory name (which it's not supposed to do unless you physically reset the router, and no one has access to this router physically other than me) but it did NOT reset to the factory password and MY password does not work either. So, I've physically reset the router myself and it still won't let me get into the admin page with the factory default password.

There is a "pre-admin" page before logging in that shows there are 2 clients currently connected (though it does not show the ip addresses of those clients.) One is obviously my Macbook Pro, but I want to know who the other one is (obviously, the Hacker/new neighbor?) I can't believe there isn't a tool that will let me see who is connected to my wireless router/network other than going into the admin page of the router (which I am now locked out of!)

The strangest thing is, my Mac can still connect to the internet, but I just can't access the admin page nor can I connect any new device (iPad 2) using the factory default password or my own password that I originally changed it too.)

I called support for this router and the best they can come up with is that my 2 month old router is already defective and they are sending me a new one... but why is it showing there are 2 clients connected?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it doesn't reset to the defaults with a physical reset, it's probably defective. If a new one does the same thing, then hacking is a possibility.

6. Sc00tr macrumors regular

I think that it is just a bad router.

when you get your new router I would do the following for security reasons:
    1) Change username & password
    2) disable PnP (this is really important)
    3) disable remote administration
    4) Set up MAC address filtering
    5) Enable WPA 2
    6) Enable the firewall feature
    7) disable SSID Broadcast
    8) disable the respond to ping

7. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Probably is just a bad router. Good advice there, thanks.

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

The MAC Address filtering is very useful tool. MAC addresses can be spoofed, but since MAC filtering, I haven't experienced any issues with neighbors.