seeing a screenless pc on my mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heath-edw, May 18, 2011.

1. heath-edw macrumors newbie

i'm wanting to add a pc to my home network. the trick is that i don't have a screen for it. is there a way for me to be able to see what's going on at the pc from my mac screen?
    the pc runs windows xp, and will be cabled to my time capsule. my mac mini, running snow leopard, is networked with the time capsule. i can keep switching the screen cable back and forth, but it seems like a better idea to just be able to find some way to see the pc work through the mini.
    i hope i've given a good explanation of what i'm wanting to do...

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could use a KVM switch which would allow you to have multiple inputs to the same input on a display

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sure, all you need is a VNC solution of some type. Even without a monitor, it will be producing video, so you should be able to do that. I know for hassle-free setup, some people use TeamViewer, but that seems unnecessary for a local setup like that. Just google for a VNC server for the PC, and grab a copy of Chicken for your Mac.

jW

4. heath-edw thread starter macrumors newbie

:) thanks, i'll give the vnc idea a go, and see...

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sure. We do that here in the shop where I work with a Mac Mini, which sits in our break room up on a shelf, far away from any monitors or keyboards/mice. Just hums away without needing anything but a power cord and network cable.

jW

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You'll notice I mentioned TeamViewer, but in this case, I didn't know if it was really going to be any easier than just using VNC. Up the OP, though.

jW

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I noticed. I was just offering my preference. I've seen a lot of threads where people were trying to get VNC set up properly, when they could have already been productive with TeamViewer. I know it's not a cure-all, but it's a very simple approach that works, and is less dependent on the user's computer literacy.