Seeing accounts from login page

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I was tasked to reset a bunch of macbooks for resale. I deleted the existing account and created a new one, and used the same password for each one. One user cant login and Im sure its the user name, but I have no way of telling what the name of the account that is on the computer is. Is it possible to see which accounts are on the computer like from the terminal from recovery?
I need a way to see what users are on the computer without logging in.

Last edited:

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I cant get there. I dont have the login information. I forgot what the name of the account was. I have the password, just not the name. Long story. I need a way to see what users are on the computer without logging in.

I know this is kind of confusing.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I cant get there. I dont have the login information. I forgot what the name of the account was. I have the password, just not the name. Long story. I need a way to see what users are on the computer without logging in.

I know this is kind of confusing.
Try typing option-return.
I don't know what option-return does - I generally spend 0 time at the login screen
But if it doesn't solve your issue:

Reboot the machine, holding down cmd+s
This will boot you into single-user mode. Now you can navigate to the Users directory and see what usernames are on the machine. Navigate with cd [directory] and list directories (and files) with ls.

If Directory Services are active in Single User mode, which I can't remember if they are, the following might work too
dscl . list /Users | grep -v ^_.*

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I don't know what option-return does - I generally spend 0 time at the login screen
But if it doesn't solve your issue:

Reboot the machine, holding down cmd+s
This will boot you into single-user mode. Now you can navigate to the Users directory and see what usernames are on the machine. Navigate with cd [directory] and list directories (and files) with ls.

If Directory Services are active in Single User mode, which I can't remember if they are, the following might work too
dscl . list /Users | grep -v ^_.*
I found that if you have a firmware password, single user mode wont work. Once I removed it, I found exactly what I was looking for. Thank you