seeing other devices under Sharing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user123, Feb 26, 2013.

1. user123, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

user123 macrumors newbie

Guys

Hello everyone, still learning my new MacBook Pro, so far it is awesome !

With that said, under Finder-Shared, I see like ten computers listed. I have gone to System Preferences - Sharing - and everything is unchecked on the left.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am seeing and if "seeing them" means they can infect my computer or etc malicious activity.

Thank You

** by the way, I have Apple Firewall turned on, Sophos Anti-Virus installed, and use Tunnel Bear VPN, 95% of the time, since I use the MacBook almost always on the road or in coffee shops, etc

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What you are seeing are other peoples computers ( and printers ) on the subnet.

Usually Windows PC's. If you have sharing turned off you have nothing to worry about.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

As mentionned above me, they are simply other computers connected to the same network, they show up, but nothing more.

Why the anti-virus? Unless you share files with PC's and want to make sure you don't pass anything along, it's useless.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As others have said, those computers are simply connected to the same network. They have no access to your computer unless you give them access. They cannot harm your computer in any way.

I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

5. user123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone. I just deleted the Anti-Virus.