Seeing text on the 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SpecialSymbols, Mar 8, 2013.

1. SpecialSymbols macrumors newbie

I just got an new 27" iMac and it's a great machine, everything I wanted --- except that the 1440p resolution on the screen makes text look so small! For example, when I try opening TextEdit to jot down notes, I can barely see the letters on it. Or if I open cnn.com, the blue article headlines on the main page look tiny

Has anyone else using the 27" noticed this? Do you get used to it? How far away do you sit from the screen, and to what part of the screen do your eyes align? I want someone to talk me out of returning this machine, because otherwise it's just fantastic.

And the solutions is definitely not to lower the resolution, that makes everything fuzzy. If i don't get used to it, I guess I'll have to start increasing zoom level on individual applications (ugh).

2. erikjorg macrumors newbie

Change resolution to scaled

Go to System Pref.
    Open Display
    Select button "Scaled"
    You will then have a selection of resolutions to select from.
    I have used 1920x1080 resolution for a long time and find the res. perfect for my eyes doing graphic design.:)

3. iCaleb macrumors 6502

Enable HiDPI mode!!!

Its a lifesaver. :)

It makes the UI big and text big AND its all retina like super clear.

4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I would of thought with the new screen text would be better on the imac compared to a 2009 on 27"?

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Will it work with a 24 iMac? How do I this?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

This is why I wasn't interested in the new iMac 27" (or even the 21"), and chose to get a Mini instead.

Younger folks in this forum simply cannot understand the problems older folks (or people with impaired vision) have when trying to read text on modern Macs running under normal (optimum) resolution.

You can't see the text clearly -- it's not large enough!

Of course, there are ways to make it larger. Sometimes, the "command-+" trick works, but often distorts the page appearance.

The best solution (if like me, you're one of those folks who has trouble reading the small text) is to get a "medium-resolution" display, such as this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AOC+-+2...lver/6293177.p?id=1218726428129&skuId=6293177

It's a 27" monitor, but with standard 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080). What this means is that you're seeing what you would see on a [normal] 24" monitor, but "blown up" a little -- the pixels are larger @ .311mm.

Younger folks will say, "that looks grainy!"
    But older folks will say, "that looks better!"

If you happen to _be_ young, and are reading this, just wait 30-40 more years.
    Then you'll understand!