Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
I'm curious if there's a way to see who or what is connected to my TC? I'm sure there is, but not sure where to look. Is there a window that will show me who is on my network or the computers that are connected?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
from airport utility, open the tc and then

advanced
logs & statistics
wireless clients

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
from airport utility, open the tc and then

advanced
logs & statistics
wireless clients

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. A couple questions. Is there a utility/app out there that is easier to see. Like something I could keep open in my menu bar?

Also, what do some of these stats mean? Client, noise, rate and Signal? I'm sure signal is the strength, but what's a good strength or the scale. Clents are my computers and iPhone, but how can I tell which is which? The numbers and letters under client, where can I find those on the computer and iPhone?

Thanks.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Another thing I just noticed. I looked under logs and there is like 50 things there all dated today. They all have a severity of 5. What's that mean?

Thanks again.

iMPH

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
An oldish thread I'm sorry, but I'd like to know exactly the same things.

I'm trying to decide if I should be suspicious of the new neighbours hopping on to my network uninvited. There's a client I can see in Airport utilities I don't recognise and likewise I can't interpret the multiple entries in the log file, many seem to report denying access.

Cheers,

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Just a thought to keep people off your network, what about changing or enabling your password, change your network name, and disable SSID Broadcasting. Not sure about a program.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
It would be nice if Airport Utility would provide a graphical representation of the computer type (if it is a mac). Then you could see that a white macbook was on the network (and know "oh it's my brother"). It would be nice if you could mark certain devices as "safe" meaning they are known and trusted, and then Airport Utility could alert you when a new device joins the network or attempts to join the network. :eek:

iMPH

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Using a 13 character password but worried how they may have cracked the first, if indeed they have.

I like Blaine's suggestion.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Just a thought to keep people off your network, what about changing or enabling your password, change your network name, and disable SSID Broadcasting. Not sure about a program.

Disabling SSID broadcast may be effective against casual wireless snoopers, but many people don't even recommend doing it at all. It makes it harder for people who are supposed to be connecting to your network, and the SSID can often be read, anyway. (This is especially true if you have Windows XP computers on your network; if they are configured to use your wireless access point, they will broadcast the SSID even when not connected when they're "looking" for it. But in any case, the SSID can often be snooped anyway.)

WPA with a strong preshared key ("passphrase") is your best bet for a home network. If you're sharing with non-Macs, make it 13 characters; otherwise, anywhere from 8 to 63 should work. (Just don't use WEP; it's older, has been compromised, and is the reason that WPA/WPA2 exist.)

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Disabling SSID broadcast may be effective against casual wireless snoopers, but many people don't even recommend doing it at all. It makes it harder for people who are supposed to be connecting to your network, and the SSID can often be read, anyway. (This is especially true if you have Windows XP computers on your network; if they are configured to use your wireless access point, they will broadcast the SSID even when not connected when they're "looking" for it. But in any case, the SSID can often be snooped anyway.)

Interesting. I did not know this, Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.