Seek help with my dead macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lhc5518, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lhc5518 macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 aluminium macbook, and now out of warranty.
    the problem starts from the battery, the macbook works fines when plug in, the battery doesn't go down or go up. Wired thing is MacOX shows power from battery. So I sent it to apple store and the genius said they are repalcing the magsafe connector, or something.
    After a week they called and said repalcing doesn't fix the problem and ask to replace the logic board for $450, I said no and get my macbook back.

When I get back my macbook, the screen DOESNOT WORK anymore. completely dark. So I went back to apple store, they look at the log and said the screen problem was caused by logic board issue, which is the same reason battery doesn't charge, and they can do nothing but change my logic board for $450.

So I am stuck here with my dead screen computer, any comment?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they said it's the logic board, there's nothing you can do but replace it.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If a new magsafe connector didn't fix it then it's likely the power circuitry which is on the logic board. Apple don't repair logic boards.

Does the Mac boot up if connected to an external monitor?

4. lhc5518 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply.

Yes, It does boot up

5. lhc5518 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I am so sad

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The main bit of the logic board is probably fine then. The display problem is could either be a poor connection between the display and logic board or the inverter board which powers the backlight for the display has co-incidentally failed.

Personally I'd be tempted to take it back and bang on the counter a little as it was returned in worse condition than it was handed over in.