Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Glass

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
tl;dr What is the best 38" ultrawide (curved preferred, I think) monitor right now? Budget is not much of an issue.

Hello,

I am seeking the best combination of 2x 38" ultrawide monitors, mostly for productivity with the sharpest text possible. Cost within reason (ideally around $1000/each, but could go higher) is not much of an issue. Ideally I would also like to be able to do some light gaming gaming now and may eventually build a gaming rig with whatever specs needed.

I recently purchased a walking/treadmill desk and have a regular sitting desk right next to it.

I plan to connect 2 computers (2015 MacBook pro and a Lenovo X270) and 2 keyboards/mice and bounce back and forth between sitting and standing throughout the day - one UW monitor on each. I plan to have a MacBook Pro at any given time that is no older than 3-4 years.

My hope is to get something that will last for about 5 years, but I can upgrade sooner if needed.

As I will be spending many hours in front of this every workday, I am willing to invest in a high-quality solution. I know that the appropriate KVM will run me about $300-500 more. I am also considering the Synergy app instead, but don't know if that will work with multiple monitors, computers, keyboards, and mice.

Any recommendations?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I currently have dual LG 34" 34UC98 Thunderbolt 2 monitors, 3440x1440 FreeSync 75Hz, picked them up a little over 2 years ago. Brand new just over a $1,000 each and can be had for about $800-900 now. Thunderbolt hub + USB3 hub built in. HDMI + DP.
The IQ is very good, especially after calibrated but even out of the box, very nice.
Their monitors seem to last quite nicely. I also have the 34" 34UC97-S picked up in 2014, I believe LG's first 34" 1440 21:9 and I haven't noticed any degredation over the last 4 years, actually even think the IQ on this panel is slightly ahead of the newer version.

If 38" is your way to go then I'd suggest Dual LG 38WK95C-W, they run about $1,500 each and resolution jumps slightly to 3840x1600 so you gain around 10-11 PPI over the 34" model.

If you've never had dual 34+ Ultrawides side by side (if that's what you're going for) you're looking at a good 6 feet from side to side with dual 38's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.