Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddSki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Henderson, NV
All:

Like most, I need some assistance. I just purchased the new 13" MBA with the i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB HD.

I really like the look and want to keep it as sleek as possible. Therefore, I am seeking to protect it from scratches with a clear skin. I have read all of the various posts on Zagg, BSE, Wrapsol, Body Guardz, etc.

I just got the iPhone 5 and applied the XO Skin for it. It went on well and looks great. However, it was pretty touch and go with the wet application. Also, the skin for the MBA will be much larger and I would guess more difficult to apply.

I must say I am thoroughly torn by all of the reviews. Can anyone suggest which one is strong enough to avoid scratches, has a great fit and is easy to apply?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,:)

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm a fan or Wrapsol and iCarbons.

The Wrapsol offering is nice because it has a matte finish, which looks much better than a clear shiny finish (in my opinion).

The iCarbons brushed aluminum cover isn't clear, but comes very close to matching the look of the bare Air. It also doesn't use water for installation.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I have the matte version of this for my 11-inch MBA and would recommend it though it's pretty difficult to put on, IMHO. When it comes to something this large that you have to align on a curved object, I don't think there's going to be any that are easy to apply, however.

Though it's thin enough to not be noticeable, it's very durable and resists scratches, tearing, and even cutting very well. I have absolutely no concerns that my MBA will get scratched under normal use with this skin on it.

I didn't line mine up as well as I'd like but it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I started with the top piece which was a mistake since starting with the bottom piece would have given me a little more "practice" before tackling the more noticeable portion.

The only issue I've had is that there are no cut-outs on the bottom piece for the screws that hold the bottom casing on. I upgraded my SSD *after* I had installed the skin (which is something I hadn't planned to do when I got it) and had to cut up the skin a little to get to the screws. It's not pretty but no one sees the bottom except me though it does bother me a little every time I see it. If I come across any extra money, I may order another set to just to assuage my OCD.

ToddSki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Henderson, NV
I have the matte version of this for my 11-inch MBA and would recommend it though it's pretty difficult to put on, IMHO. When it comes to something this large that you have to align on a curved object, I don't think there's going to be any that are easy to apply, however.

Though it's thin enough to not be noticeable, it's very durable and resists scratches, tearing, and even cutting very well. I have absolutely no concerns that my MBA will get scratched under normal use with this skin on it.

I didn't line mine up as well as I'd like but it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I started with the top piece which was a mistake since starting with the bottom piece would have given me a little more "practice" before tackling the more noticeable portion.

The only issue I've had is that there are no cut-outs on the bottom piece for the screws that hold the bottom casing on. I upgraded my SSD *after* I had installed the skin (which is something I hadn't planned to do when I got it) and had to cut up the skin a little to get to the screws. It's not pretty but no one sees the bottom except me though it does bother me a little every time I see it. If I come across any extra money, I may order another set to just to assuage my OCD.

Thanks, unfortunately, they appear to either be out-of-stock or do not make them for the 13" model. I will probably go with either the Wrapsol or BSE since adding bulk is something I want to avoid.

----------

I'm a fan or Wrapsol and iCarbons.

The Wrapsol offering is nice because it has a matte finish, which looks much better than a clear shiny finish (in my opinion).

The iCarbons brushed aluminum cover isn't clear, but comes very close to matching the look of the bare Air. It also doesn't use water for installation.

Thanks, I am going to wait for some additional feedback. However, I am thinking I will go with either the wrapsol or BSE unless someone comes up with either a superior product or reason for using another. I really do not want to add bulk to it.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I've used Wrapsol with my 2011 and new 2012 MBAs. The film continually discolors - black smudge-like areas appear - when the MBA is in a relatively snug case.

I've had the same issue with both the Acme sleeve sold at the Apple Store and a Beyza case I ordered from somewhere in the bowels of Eastern Europe.

I sent photos of the first iteration to Wrapsol and to their credit, they offered me an immediate replacement. Now it's happened again with the far more expensive Beyza case.

I'll strip off the Wrapsol and look for another solution. Obviously, there's a problem with tight or clingy cases and the material Wrapsol uses. Since I don't have the rest of my life to investigate, I'll just go with a "bare" MBA and see what happens.

If I had to buy something else at this point, Speck seems the logical alternative!

ToddSki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Henderson, NV
Thanks!

I've used Wrapsol with my 2011 and new 2012 MBAs. The film continually discolors - black smudge-like areas appear - when the MBA is in a relatively snug case.

I've had the same issue with both the Acme sleeve sold at the Apple Store and a Beyza case I ordered from somewhere in the bowels of Eastern Europe.

I sent photos of the first iteration to Wrapsol and to their credit, they offered me an immediate replacement. Now it's happened again with the far more expensive Beyza case.

I'll strip off the Wrapsol and look for another solution. Obviously, there's a problem with tight or clingy cases and the material Wrapsol uses. Since I don't have the rest of my life to investigate, I'll just go with a "bare" MBA and see what happens.

If I had to buy something else at this point, Speck seems the logical alternative!

I really appreciate the feedback. I am glad I did not rush off and buy the Wrapsol. There are a lot of people who tout them.

Have you look into and considered the BSE, Zagg or BodyGuardz clear skins? I really hate adding weight or bulk to the machine. It seems like it defeats the purpose of paying for the portability.

Thanks So Much,

ToddSki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Henderson, NV
Moshi IGlaze

Have you looked at the Moshi IGlaze? Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5C0te36O4

There are several other reviews with similar feedback.

Good Luck,

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
Wrapsol by far

I love Wrapsol. iPhone, iPad, and MBA are all Wrapsol'd. Lifetime warranty is perfect, get new ones every 6ish months because I like the fresh feeling (you just pay for shipping but if you cover all your products with it, you save $ shipping them together). I haven't had any issues with discoloring at this point.

The Smyrk

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
Austin, TX
I love Wrapsol. iPhone, iPad, and MBA are all Wrapsol'd. Lifetime warranty is perfect, get new ones every 6ish months because I like the fresh feeling (you just pay for shipping but if you cover all your products with it, you save $ shipping them together). I haven't had any issues with discoloring at this point.

I agree. This was the whole reason I chose Wrapsol for my iPhone and MBA 13". Any time I feel like replacing it, I just send them an email with a pic of the skin (peeling, cut or jagged edges, etc.) and they always send me out another one. You do have to pay S&H like Timm mentioned and its ~$5-6, but its worth it in my opinion to have peace of mind knowing that I can have it replaced at that price point. The only downside I have seen to these is that they don't have holes for the screws. I had my MBA repaired and they had to remove my Wrapsol to get to the screws. As far the the discoloration comment goes, it is highly unnoticeable unless you have something bleeding color/ink onto it. Whenever I do remove my old Wrapsol to apply a new one, it does look a little yellowish and not as clear as the new one but I expect thats normal and can only be seen when I remove the skin. The grip and matte finish is fantastic for those who want to keep their MBA looking naked.

ToddSki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Henderson, NV
Thanks!

I agree. This was the whole reason I chose Wrapsol for my iPhone and MBA 13". Any time I feel like replacing it, I just send them an email with a pic of the skin (peeling, cut or jagged edges, etc.) and they always send me out another one. You do have to pay S&H like Timm mentioned and its ~$5-6, but its worth it in my opinion to have peace of mind knowing that I can have it replaced at that price point. The only downside I have seen to these is that they don't have holes for the screws. I had my MBA repaired and they had to remove my Wrapsol to get to the screws. As far the the discoloration comment goes, it is highly unnoticeable unless you have something bleeding color/ink onto it. Whenever I do remove my old Wrapsol to apply a new one, it does look a little yellowish and not as clear as the new one but I expect thats normal and can only be seen when I remove the skin. The grip and matte finish is fantastic for those who want to keep their MBA looking naked.

I appreciate everyone's assistance. I think I will try the Wrapsol first (Wal-Mart has them for $24). If it holds up fairly well, I will stay with it and replace it as suggested. If not, I will be in the market for a Moshi iGlaze.

Thanks So Much,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.