Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Seeking advice...Debating on upgrading my XS Max to a 12 Pro Max

Rory76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
126
39
*I’m sure this probably comes across as a dumb post, but I’m purely seeking feedback, thoughts, opinions, etc., in terms of whether it’s worth upgrading or not*

So....I love my 256GB XS Max which I purchased at launch just over two years ago. I think it’s my favorite of all the iPhones I’ve owned over the years. I’ve always bought the largest screen size in iPhones since the 6 came out. I typically upgrade my iPhone every two to three years. I skipped the 6.5” iPhone 11 last year. Since the the iPhone 12 announcement, I have been going back and forth on whether it’s worth upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this year. Since tomorrow is the preorder date, I’m just trying to reach a final decision.

In terms of why I want to upgrade, I really think I’ll like the larger screen size of the 12 Pro Max, the new design, the increased battery life (I’ll be keeping 5G off most of the time), the fact that this iPhone model may be the last model with a charging/audio port (I love listening to high resolution music on my IEM’s via the lightning to 3.5mm adapter on my iPhone). I don’t really care about the camera. I rarely spend much money on myself outside of new gadgets and tech which are my passion. I didn’t upgrade my iPhone last year, and although the cost of upgrading to the iPhone 12 256GB Pro Max is quite steep (I plan to pay upfront/in full for it along with the 2 yr AppleCare+), I can swing it without any issue. Based off recent sales on Swappa and eBay, I can probably net $550-600 for my current iPhone (estimating on higher side since it still has AC+ active on it). I guess I just have a hard time justifying the ~$900 (including the 2 yr AppleCare+ Plan and taxes) I’ll end up paying out of pocket for the new iPhone after selling my current iPhone. And then I’m doing what I always do with regard to tech products and gadgets (mainly Apple)...wondering if I should just keep what and I have and wait for the next model.

Anyway, I apologize in advance for the rambling post. Just wanting to hear others thoughts on all this. Thanks in advance!
 

Rory76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
126
39
I have the XS Max and no question about ordering the Max in the morning. 2 years is about my limit for keeping a phone. I say order it and enjoy. We only live once!
I like your style 👍🏻. Are you going to sell your XS Max? If so, what route do you think you’ll go to sell it?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Resqu2

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
1,550
293
I have the exact phone as you, I am not planning to upgrade because the differences don’t feel like a $1000 difference. Just want to wait for 120hz but the camera sounds amazing on the new max
 

blairh

macrumors 601
Dec 11, 2007
4,453
1,913
12 PM has a brighter screen that you'll really love is my guess. Also I do think the port will be gone next year. So if matters to you, I'd get the 12 PM.
 

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
813
235
I like your style 👍🏻. Are you going to sell your XS Max? If so, what route do you think you’ll go to sell it?
Apple offered $370 on instant trade in and I see lots on Facebook market for a bit more but there not selling so I will take Apple’s offer. 2 year old phone and it’s still worth that makes me pretty happy.
 

jamesbond426

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
29
1
I am upgrading from XS Max too. For me the upgrade in camera, especially in low light is worth it. Also, I am trading in using a AT&T offer which will give me a discount of 800$ on the new phone over 30 months. I will be tied to them for next 30 months but I have been with them for 10 years. So, not a big deal
 
  • Like
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

AppleWhatGives

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
6
3
AT&T just changed that to $700 today ( figures). That said I was able to preorder already. Then I got kicked into the queue.
 

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
1,753
1,640
Philadelphia, PA USA
My XS Max is still working fine, upgraded to 14.2. Battery health is 93%, it's been good to me.
I just want the better camera - especially low light! SLIGHTLY larger size, the better modem. Trade in is still higher than I expected, $370. I was going back and forth whether to upgrade this year, decided I will.

After this year, I need something to look forward to also!
 

certifiedlovergirl

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
33
13
*I’m sure this probably comes across as a dumb post, but I’m purely seeking feedback, thoughts, opinions, etc., in terms of whether it’s worth upgrading or not*

So....I love my 256GB XS Max which I purchased at launch just over two years ago. I think it’s my favorite of all the iPhones I’ve owned over the years. I’ve always bought the largest screen size in iPhones since the 6 came out. I typically upgrade my iPhone every two to three years. I skipped the 6.5” iPhone 11 last year. Since the the iPhone 12 announcement, I have been going back and forth on whether it’s worth upgrading to the 12 Pro Max this year. Since tomorrow is the preorder date, I’m just trying to reach a final decision.

In terms of why I want to upgrade, I really think I’ll like the larger screen size of the 12 Pro Max, the new design, the increased battery life (I’ll be keeping 5G off most of the time), the fact that this iPhone model may be the last model with a charging/audio port (I love listening to high resolution music on my IEM’s via the lightning to 3.5mm adapter on my iPhone). I don’t really care about the camera. I rarely spend much money on myself outside of new gadgets and tech which are my passion. I didn’t upgrade my iPhone last year, and although the cost of upgrading to the iPhone 12 256GB Pro Max is quite steep (I plan to pay upfront/in full for it along with the 2 yr AppleCare+), I can swing it without any issue. Based off recent sales on Swappa and eBay, I can probably net $550-600 for my current iPhone (estimating on higher side since it still has AC+ active on it). I guess I just have a hard time justifying the ~$900 (including the 2 yr AppleCare+ Plan and taxes) I’ll end up paying out of pocket for the new iPhone after selling my current iPhone. And then I’m doing what I always do with regard to tech products and gadgets (mainly Apple)...wondering if I should just keep what and I have and wait for the next model.

Anyway, I apologize in advance for the rambling post. Just wanting to hear others thoughts on all this. Thanks in advance!
wait for the 13 tbh. not much of a difference worth paying for.
 

contacos

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
186
202
Mexico City born
I upgraded because my battery started to turn to crap and I wanted a better camera, especially one with night mode. when It comes to speed, both devices are handing iOS 14 great
 

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
124
12
Florida
I’m upgrading from an XS Max to 12PM (Blue, 256 GB - pickup at local Apple store tomorrow). Much better modem + AT&T deal made it worth it.,
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.