Seeking advice for multifunction printers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Mar 6, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I've recently begun graduate school, and I'm in a situation that will require a significant amount of printing and scanning. However, it's been years since I've used a printer, so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the latest in technology. For instance, I've found out that some inkjet printers now don't use proprietary cartridges, but rather have slots where you can pour in CMYK ink for printing.

I would absolutely like duplex printing as well as robust OS X support and I would like to aim for ADF scanning and copying if possible, though I'll settle for flatbed scanning and copying if need be. Also, wireless printing and AirPrint would be nice. I've scouted out the Samsung SL-M3370FD and the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CM215fw. Are there other models you'd recommend?

Price range is up to $200 without toner.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I just bought an HP Laserjet M477fdw and it's exceeded my expectations for the price by far. All the multifunction stuff works, Airprint and so on. Has all the things you're looking for (duplex, ADF, wireless, Airprint etc). Very fast first page too compared with my previous much larger printers. And they had not only a special price locally but a $150 cashback so in NZ it ended up being just $10 more than an Apple Pencil :) Ridiculous deal. Its only downside is that it won't take a full ream of paper in one go in the tray, but I can cope with that for the price.

I would stay well away from inkjet printers unless your budget really is down to the last few dollars. There's no good reason not to have a colour laser nowadays.

Edit: The cashback did arrive, 7 days after I emailed them the scan of the receipt, just in case you were wondering.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

How did you get such a cheap base price to begin with? Because I'm finding color models that cost upwards of $400.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

In NZ it was "listed" at NZ$650 (but in the sort of high-volume shop where you never pay the "list" price). They had a sale on and reduced it to NZ$400. They didn't have any in stock so I took the one on display, which they couldn't find the box for, so I asked for a further discount. Then there was NZ$150 cashback. So the final net price was indeed ridiculous, particularly for a place where the Apple Pencil is NZ$190. You just have to find a shop that's desperate. I don't know if it's a model soon to be discontinued, but if so keep your eye out for them.