Seeking Advice - MC906LL/A vs FC969LL/A

brighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Long time lurker and first time poster folks, thanks for all the good reads over the past couple years. :)

I'm torn between the two models above because of the MacMall special running now. I'm a typical average user, no gaming. Here's a rundown of the options I'm mulling over right now and I'm seeking feedback from what you would recommend and why:

MC906LL/A (new 1.6 C2D / 4GB / 128SSD) - no keyboard backlight
From MacMall - $799 $849(after $50 rebate)(tax??)(free FedEx overnight ship)

FC969LL/A (refurb 1.6 i5 / 4GB / 128SSD) - yes keyboard backlight
From Apple Outlet - $999+tax (free standard ship)

The MacMall one also comes with a $50 restaurant.com GC but that's not a deciding factor at all for me. Deal is good through the end of today 1/20 only.

What would you go with and why?

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors Pentium
Oct 23, 2010
I'd go with the 2011. Apart from the plain box, Apple refurbished units are indistinguishable from new units. The faster processor in the 2011 will hold up better over time, plus the Thunderbolt port should become more useful this year as PC manufacturers start supporting it.

brighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies so far. FWIW, I'll be upgrading from my 2003 12" Powerbook G4 (867Mhz PPC), which flash isn't even supported on anymore. I imagine I'll see a drastic improvement.

The backlit keyboard is definitely appealing to me, I'm just trying to decide if it coupled with the processor upgrade (and absence of dedicated graphics) is worth the extra ~$250 for the current model.

dlim

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2012
The 2011 will definitely future proof you better. That jump from C2D -> i5 was a huge boost in performance (~50%), as well as the thunderbolt port. Even if you may not be able to notice, for $250 I'd say it's well worth it. It'll definitely keep you happy and "future proofed" for the next 2-3 years imo.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
No competition between the two. 2011 Air FTW!

Why? Lets see

MUCH faster processor - Check
Backlit KB - Check
Thunderbolt Port - Check
Faster RAM module - Check
Latest and greatest - Check :D
Future Proof - Check