Seeking Advice - MC906LL/A vs FC969LL/A

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by brighter, Jan 20, 2012.

1. brighter, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

brighter macrumors newbie

Long time lurker and first time poster folks, thanks for all the good reads over the past couple years. :)

I'm torn between the two models above because of the MacMall special running now. I'm a typical average user, no gaming. Here's a rundown of the options I'm mulling over right now and I'm seeking feedback from what you would recommend and why:

MC906LL/A (new 1.6 C2D / 4GB / 128SSD) - no keyboard backlight
    From MacMall - $799 $849(after $50 rebate)(tax??)(free FedEx overnight ship)

FC969LL/A (refurb 1.6 i5 / 4GB / 128SSD) - yes keyboard backlight
    From Apple Outlet - $999+tax (free standard ship)

The MacMall one also comes with a $50 restaurant.com GC but that's not a deciding factor at all for me. Deal is good through the end of today 1/20 only.

What would you go with and why?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go with the 2011. Apart from the plain box, Apple refurbished units are indistinguishable from new units. The faster processor in the 2011 will hold up better over time, plus the Thunderbolt port should become more useful this year as PC manufacturers start supporting it.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I'd go with B - not that I'm overly fussed about the 11" screen.
    newer is better, especially in 2 or 3 years time.

4. brighter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies so far. FWIW, I'll be upgrading from my 2003 12" Powerbook G4 (867Mhz PPC), which flash isn't even supported on anymore. I imagine I'll see a drastic improvement.

The backlit keyboard is definitely appealing to me, I'm just trying to decide if it coupled with the processor upgrade (and absence of dedicated graphics) is worth the extra ~$250 for the current model.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Get the $999 otherwise you'll only start kicking yourself very quickly down the road.

6. dlim macrumors regular

The 2011 will definitely future proof you better. That jump from C2D -> i5 was a huge boost in performance (~50%), as well as the thunderbolt port. Even if you may not be able to notice, for $250 I'd say it's well worth it. It'll definitely keep you happy and "future proofed" for the next 2-3 years imo.

7. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

8. anirudh macrumors 6502

No competition between the two. 2011 Air FTW!

Why? Lets see

MUCH faster processor - Check
    Backlit KB - Check
    Thunderbolt Port - Check
    Faster RAM module - Check
    Latest and greatest - Check :D
    Future Proof - Check