Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Greetings

We use an Airport Extreme Base Station (the square white one) to create a wifi network. It's located on the ground floor and linked to the ISP's modem with a network cable. The house has three floors which means that reception on the top isn't great.

Would it improve signal strength to place a second AEBS (or an Express) on the ground floor and connect the two with a network cable?

I know I should put a second AEBS on the first floor and link it with a network cable to the first, but someone in the house with a veto on cabling prevents me from doing that...

Thank you for your help
Philip

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Would it improve signal strength to place a second AEBS (or an Express) on the ground floor and connect the two with a network cable?
No. The two units would simply generate interference with each other. Your only option is another unit on the 2nd or top floors.

You could try purchasing a mesh Wi-Fi system. Put a unit on each floor. The units will create a wide mesh Wi-Fi network which should cover each floor.

Reactions: pullman

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... link it with a network cable to the first, but someone in the house with a veto on cabling prevents me from doing that...

Then you will never have a first-class mesh system. Yes "never".

All wireless mesh systems use available Wi-Fi bandwidth to connect the nodes in the mesh system. This takes away from the bandwidth available to your devices. This is the only option if you need better signal strength but yu trade bandwidth to get it. Ethernet cables are the best way to go.

But, no matter what, using two obsolete Apple routers will not create a mesh network.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Then you will never have a first-class mesh system. Yes "never".

All wireless mesh systems use available Wi-Fi bandwidth to connect the nodes in the mesh system. This takes away from the bandwidth available to your devices. This is the only option if you need better signal strength but yu trade bandwidth to get it. Ethernet cables are the best way to go.

But, no matter what, using two obsolete Apple routers will not create a mesh network.
yes and no ;) When you use a tri-band or more mesh system you can configure one of the bands as the dedicated backhaul, effectively making it the same as having an ethernet cable but without the cable ;)

I don't want cables everywhere in my home. Is use Asus XT12 for that purpose, and it works perfectly. I can get wirelessly the full capacity of my 1Gb fibre internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.