Seeking advice on Mac Mini etc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gimpex, Mar 3, 2009.

1. gimpex macrumors newbie

Hello,

Firstly some background: I was waiting to change our house from PC to Apple , but given the lack of upgrades and price increases in UK , I have decided to stay with PC's and upgrade mine to i7. (I am not here to discuss the merits of my decision to keep PC)

The question:
    Currently I have a PC in the lounge to watch movies/listen to music and some basic web surfing. This PC will go to son's room, therefore have an opening in the longe. The plan was to put a mini there. This is still an option as an alternative would be to get a nice case ( HTPC ) with an average C2D or Q , which would cost not much less if you add it all up.

Now , given that I will remain on PC's in the rest of the house I have the following questions for the more experienced users here:

1) Will I have trouble hooking up the mac to the wifi I have at home now (Belkin router) ? Currently I have one Airport Express (bought in anticipation of all mac house :)) and I can only hook it up to wifi if network is unprotected , if WEP then Express cannot access it..maybe its me and my settings
    2) will the mac be able to connect to an external HDD which would be hooked up to another PC ( via wifi) ?
    3) will the mac be able to play avi,mpg (essentially any format) without the need to convert all my movies - all songs are on itunes anyway so that should be ok?
    4) will the songs need to be located on the mac HD , or can they also be on the external HDD mentioned above?
    5) Is the Front Row a good program to use as a video library ( I am looking for something that will act as a DVD library with covers / descriptions from imdb or similar) , couldnt find anything like that for windows yet - looked at few but none are great.

Any other comments related to my issue are very welcome.

2. enochpeng macrumors regular

1.You shouldn't have any trouble
    2.It's possible but kinda difficult you'll be better off sell all ur devices and get a new Airport Extreme
    3.Yes! VLC Player does it well
    4. Could be on an external disk
    5. Great tool if you've all your DVD's imported to iTunes