Seeking advice on Macbook Pro for Final Cut/editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMagicMushroom, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MrMagicMushroom, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't have much time, but I wanted to correct you, the matte isn't more washed out. the matte is more how it actually looks, where the glassy is just very super vibrant.

Also, I have a c2d macbook pro, 15", from 2006, and it's fantastic for editing stuff on the fly.

3. MrMagicMushroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah righty, thank you for clearing that up. The video I saw was photos of a matte and glossy and viewing how they compared in fair tests. I know my glossy display does give a more vibrant look, while my matte seems more natural.

I've never used Final Cut Pro, only Vegas and After Effects on my desktop. What size and dimension of videos/images do you edit?>

4. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey the screen res is 1680x1050, i just purchased my 15" 2.66 ghz i7, 4 gb ddr 3 ram, 500 gb 7200 rpm HDD, and nvidia gt 330 m 512 MB, it is amazingly fast, i do alot of HD movie editing for personal videos, i have not had the opportunity to edit anything yet on my new mbp because i got it tuesday, and my HD go pro helmet cam is currently with a friend who races motocross getting me hours and hour of racing/trail riding, but it is amazingly fast, and the high res glossy is amazing, everything pops out at you, and you said it gets alot of glare under almost all light, i do not find that at all it just looks great, even when i am in a low lit room with a window behind me or a lamp it just works great.

lmk if you have any other questions =D

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

It really comes down to personal preference. After using my i7 Hi-res Glossy machine for a few months, I have to say the Glossy screen is beautiful... but some dyed in the wool users absolutely can't deal with the tiniest reflections and go matte. What do you like better?

The 5400 RPM is slow. Any 7200 RPM drive will work (provided its SATA). I'd recommend the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive,which combines 4 GB of SSD with a 500 GB drive. Its very close in performance of a SSD in most things, and you'll have lots of space for the photos and videos you'll be editing.I have one and love it. Not sure what you mean about the 14.9% rate... maybe something is different over there in the UK.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can go to an Apple store and see it for yourself. that's what I did before purchasing my MBP and AdobeCS4. Checked the size and the screen.. while running the apps.

7. MrMagicMushroom, Sep 5, 2010
  8. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I have done some editing on my machine, and it's fine. My Power Mac before this had a glossy display and I did a lot of editing on that. I also had a 15" PowerBook with a matte display for a few years.. I like glossy better.

The XT is only $135, which is the beauty of it. NewEgg.com sells them in America, not sure if they sell in the UK. You can find it here.

In the US Apple offers zero "financing" that is just a credit card that they give you and they put the computer on it. After a certain amount of months if the computer isn't paid off they start to charge a (bad) APR. It's also hard to get. What I did was I found a good credit card with an introductory 0% APR (which is essentially what your getting from Apple) and a decent APR after that. I'm happy I did so.

9. MrMagicMushroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think its just a personal preference? I'll defiantly check them out at the Apple Store, is it possible to say, buy a Macbook Pro at the store, but with a high res screen? or do you only get that sort of customisation online?

I suppose I'll just skip the whole credit thing and buy it at once. I can get one in the UK around £95 or so, which is similar to the Apple upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM, but the SSD makes it seem worth it for everyday use.

10. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

You should be able to find one HR at the store, not really sure. I really do think it comes down to preference.

Exactly. It's fast, spacious and relatively cheap compared to SSDs.

11. MrMagicMushroom thread starter macrumors newbie

I see in your signature that you are using one, are you having any issues at all when using it? From the reviews I've seen its highly recommended but a lot of people report it being buggy, with freezing and errors arising from using it.

12. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

The MBP or the Momentus XT? I've had zero issues with the drive. I can barely hear it, and no vibration issues. And I've experienced no type of buggy or freezing behavior. Just very very fast boot time and application load times. Here is a vid of a MacBook Pro booting with one installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQOkVzn0O8

It also has won CNet's editors choice award:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX_WyOhTQEw

13. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Currently I use a 15" MBP 3.06ghz dual core. I use final cut express 4 on it all the time. A lot of people say the more viewing the better to edit. Well they are right. I wish I would have gotten the 17" for as much as I use FCE 4. If I were you, I would go to the apple store and view a couple of youtube videos about final cut (Demos) on the 15" and the 17"
    You'll see what i'm talking about.
    Good luck in class!

14. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

PS. As I found out, never store your movies/projects on you MBP HDD. Store them on an external because your school has the same software. It's easier to move from one place to the other, and you'll be able to keep your MBP fast without getting the HDD full.

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Just walk in a look around. You have to do a spotlight search or look for the Adobe folder in Finder. A lot of times that I've gone in, I was lucky to find a Apple salesperson who worked in that field (medium). Look for someone who is savvy in Final Cut and ask them questions.

16. MrMagicMushroom, Sep 11, 2010